Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Suggestions for Mild Cam Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would actually think you wouldn't go wrong with either 21's or 26's. They seem really close. If it were an EVO motor it would be easy, You just pop the EV27 in and you're done in 99 percent of the applications!!

Old 01-29-2010, 05:22 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi guys! I have a near stock 88 here I'm looking for cams to fit in. This is a girl's bike when all is done, not a rocketship!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:25 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Common cams for a "stock 88" are Andrews 21 or 26, HD SE 203. Personally have 21's in my stock 88". Lots of people run 203's and 26's and are equally satisfied. Since you lowered the gearing, the 26 may be better. Unless, she really likes the tq lower and does not rev past 4k often. The 26 will have a little more above ~4k, the 21's a little more below that. Not sure how 203's compare.

My earlier post was to point out the common misconception that 21's are not good in 95" builds. In other words, not future proof.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:42 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

KumaRide, I hear ya. I too also posted my previous e-mail about the two cams to clear up some misconceptions. A few guys seem to have implied that the TW26's were for only 5,000 rpms and higher. That's simply not true and GrBrown is just looking for some factual advice. Mine has the 26's. It has tons of low end power and midrange power. I don't think my motor has ever seen over 5,000 rpm.

Two of the other unexpected benefits from mild cams (besides more power) are that the engine runs cooler and I actually got better milage from the bike since the engine doesn't work as hard to keep it traveling at highway speeds now. Andrews told me this was the case but I had to see it for myself before I believed them, and it was true.

I would also recommend the geardrive kit, Mine only sounded whiny for the first week. Then it quieted down and you can't hear any whine noise now. It runs on a lot less friction than chain drive cams and you don't have to worry about tensioners, guides and chains coming apart sending shrapnel through your motor. I think the geardrive kit was $406 extra.

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Common cams for a "stock 88" are Andrews 21 or 26, HD SE 203. Personally have 21's in my stock 88". Lots of people run 203's and 26's and are equally satisfied. Since you lowered the gearing, the 26 may be better. Unless, she really likes the tq lower and does not rev past 4k often. The 26 will have a little more above ~4k, the 21's a little more below that. Not sure how 203's compare.

My earlier post was to point out the common misconception that 21's are not good in 95" builds. In other words, not future proof.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by djl
Whoops, grbrown is in the UK, should have said 709kph.
Unlike your northern neighbours we still use mph, so we still talk the same language!

Originally Posted by KumaRide

That’s very helpful info, thanks!

Originally Posted by PineyRider
KumaRide, I hear ya. I too also posted my previous e-mail about the two cams to clear up some misconceptions. A few guys seem to have implied that the TW26's were for only 5,000 rpms and higher. That's simply not true and GrBrown is just looking for some factual advice. Mine has the 26's. It has tons of low end power and midrange power. I don't think my motor has ever seen over 5,000 rpm.

Two of the other unexpected benefits from mild cams (besides more power) are that the engine runs cooler and I actually got better milage from the bike since the engine doesn't work as hard to keep it traveling at highway speeds now. Andrews told me this was the case but I had to see it for myself before I believed them, and it was true.

I would also recommend the geardrive kit, Mine only sounded whiny for the first week. Then it quieted down and you can't hear any whine noise now. It runs on a lot less friction than chain drive cams and you don't have to worry about tensioners, guides and chains coming apart sending shrapnel through your motor. I think the geardrive kit was $406 extra.
Thanks for that. My wife has a solo seat on this bike, which sits her a bit further back than the stock dual, also no rear footrests to discourage anyone else wanting a ride! So it gets an easy time with just her and her saddlebags and the Andrews TW26 sounds fine. I had an EV27 in my FLHS in its first transformation.

Knowing my wife, she is more likely to notice a change in noise, rather than improved performance!

I mentioned my spreadsheet! Other possible cams I have found not mentioned yet are a Crane 310 and Woods TW6. There are others, but having found around a dozen possibles, I feel the list is shortening a little now!

Old 01-30-2010, 07:58 AM
GAstreetglide
Advanced
Default Cams

I am very happy with the mid range performance with the Head Quarters Hurricane HQ-TC-500-HC cams.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GAstreetglide
I am very happy with the mid range performance with the Head Quarters Hurricane HQ-TC-500-HC cams.
That has the same profile as their 0034 for the 88s. Close call in this poll between HQ and Andrews!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Graham, Also Don't hesitate to contact Andrews, Woods or any other cam manufacturers. They are always glad to suggest the right cam for your needs. They usually have an extensive question sheet to fill out so they can give you the right recommendation. I could be wrong but I think Crane went out of business. I think you are on the right track doing your research and narrowing down options and will be happy with whatever cam you end up using.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by PineyRider
Graham, Also Don't hesitate to contact Andrews, Woods or any other cam manufacturers. They are always glad to suggest the right cam for your needs. They usually have an extensive question sheet to fill out so they can give you the right recommendation. I could be wrong but I think Crane went out of business. I think you are on the right track doing your research and narrowing down options and will be happy with whatever cam you end up using.
You're right about Crane, I seem to recall reading the bike stuff had been bought by S&S. Of course their 510 is also a candidate, bearing in mind I have a 585 in my little S&S 107!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Current long short-list of likely cams I have identified. Comments on their relative merits are welcome! The Comments column is based on the manufacturers' descriptions.

Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for Mild Cam Upgrade-dyna-cam-options.jpg  

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Mild Cam Upgrade