Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Need some cam advice please!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:30 AM
boosteddelslow
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some cam advice please!!

I am thinking about getting some cams for my 2008 night train that is stock besides you normal pipes, a/c and programmer. I was looking on fuel moto's web sight and they seem to be really pushing the woods tw6-6 cams. I would like to do a big bore kit at some point. Probally next winter and was wondering if these cams will work with a big bore kit with heads. Nothing real radical. Are these good cams for a softail? Are there other cams that are better?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Run the 6 cam now with a 4* advance gear, and then pull the gear, when you go to 103-107" with a good set of heads.
Scott

Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Woods 6 is a great cam. But My 2 cents the TR525 is better and works better with Big Bore kits with a little higher compression!!
If you can read the specks you will see it r yourself.
Again my 2 cents worth!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

both good choices,DBW is right,will need a little more compresion for the TMAN,we`ve also found the TMAN cams to make a little less noise than the woods cams

Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 AM
boosteddelslow
Tourer

Thanks for the replies. I plan on tackling this project in the next couple of weeks. How is the idle with the tw6-6 cams. Can you tell the bike has a cam? Where is a good place to buy the 4* gear? Thanks again for the help!!!

Last edited by boosteddelslow; 01-26-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree cheers

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
both good choices,DBW is right,will need a little more compresion for the TMAN,we`ve also found the TMAN cams to make a little less noise than the woods cams

Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boosteddelslow
Thanks for the replies. I plan on tackling this project in the next couple of weeks. How is the idle with the tw6-6 cams. Can you tell the bike has a cam? Where is a good place to buy the 4* gear? Thanks again for the help!!!
Yes, you can tell the bike is cammed when it is idling.

It's a great cam, real strong all through the powerband.

I think Andrews has a +4 sprocket, and I know Wood does, however, I didn't run one myself

Old 01-26-2010, 11:43 AM
boosteddelslow
Tourer

Do you have to change the inner cam bearings? I have seen the tool in the SE book. Do you need a special tool? I have a universal bearing removal kit at work but I guess the sleeve on the SE tool keeps the bearings themselves in place. The tool I have has a slide hammer and many differnt size puller attachments. I guess the SE uses a jack bolt?

Last edited by boosteddelslow; 01-26-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Qualifed answer: You can use the blind bearing puller that is the slidehammer style but there is a chance of the rollers coming out and falling into the case. Using this style puller has been done by many without issues, but just want to alert you to the potential. As far as reinstalling the new bearings, you can put them in the freezer overnight, and tap them easily into place with the old cams, although setting the right depth in this manner is a crap shoot, but again, a lot have done this. I use the proper installation tools to do this as the tool I have sets the bearings to the proper depth.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 PM
boosteddelslow
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dalton
Qualifed answer: You can use the blind bearing puller that is the slidehammer style but there is a chance of the rollers coming out and falling into the case. Using this style puller has been done by many without issues, but just want to alert you to the potential. As far as reinstalling the new bearings, you can put them in the freezer overnight, and tap them easily into place with the old cams, although setting the right depth in this manner is a crap shoot, but again, a lot have done this. I use the proper installation tools to do this as the tool I have sets the bearings to the proper depth.
What tool do you use? Do you have the SE tool or a differnt one? I dont think that I want to take the chance of the rollers falling into the case. I have never done this before and dont want to take the chance on my first time around. One question though. Why do you have to change the cam bearings? Is it a might as well since you are in there or is there a specific reason?

Quick Reply: Need some cam advice please!!