Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Slow Idle Jet Screw

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:53 PM
kd4tsc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Idle Jet Screw

I think it's called that. It's located on the bottom of my carb. I have a '93 FXLR with the obligatory Kiehin CV carb. I rebuilt the carb the other day, but when I put the "Slow Idle" screw back in, I didn't pay any attention to how many turns in or out. I just screwed it in 'til it stopped. Of course, that's not correct. It needs to be backed out, but how far? Can someone tell me how many turns I should back it out? (it's probably in increments of 1/8 turn). Once I get it out to a good starting point, I can fine tune from there.
Thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 02:00 PM
ultrat
Road Master

im going to say 2 1/2 turns out its been a while....others may know better ull probily end up at 1 1/2 or a 1/8 less/////

Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2-2 1/2 turns should put you close. After that you have to adjust it to where it idles best. Turn it in till it starts to die and then back it out to where it runs rough. Split the difference and you should be good to go. Oh yeah make sure the bike is warmed up.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM
kd4tsc
Intermediate

Well, I went home last night and screwed the thing all the way in, then backed it out 2 1/2 turns. Now it won't start. As I stated earlier, I rebuilt the carb and when I replaced this screw, I screwed it back in the same number of turns I had used to remove it. Tuesday when I re-installed the carb, the bike started right up. As stated, I did have to keep the enrichener **** out for it to run, but that was only 'cause I hadn't set the idle screw. I shut it down and re-started several times. Worked fine. Now, at 2 1/2 turns, it onl hits a little like it wants to start, but doesn't start. When I twist the throttle, then it acts like it wants to choke down or something. It stops trying to start - won't even hit. But let the throttle alone, then it starts trying to hit again. Now what have I done? Any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 AM
ultrat
Road Master

well try starting w/ screw in at 2 turns out if no luck go down to1 3/4 out + so on pull needle out check not bent spray carb cleaner in screw jet hose should come out in venturi

Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you lose the little o-ring and washer that seals the the needle. Without the o-ring it won't idle properly.

Attached Thumbnails Slow Idle Jet Screw-idlescrew.jpg  
Old 01-21-2010, 09:26 AM
kd4tsc
Intermediate

Washer?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

What changes did you do while rebuiding the carb,ie,bigger jets or what?Why did you rebuild the carb?What was the bike doing?Noticed on mine the starting procedure was different after putting in a Sportster needle,sure runs good now though.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure your air/fuel mixture screw is put back in this order. Slide the spring on the air/fuel screw first, then the metal washer and last, the o-ring. The o-ring should be the last thing installed onto the air/fuel screw. Don't bottom out the screw too hard either. Just bottom out lightly, then turn back out about 2 turns.

Quick Reply: Slow Idle Jet Screw