Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Slow Idle Jet Screw

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM
pig pin
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayrk
Did you lose the little o-ring and washer that seals the the needle. Without the o-ring it won't idle properly.
Where can a guy buy these parts?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the only place I could find those parts. It comes as a kit with a new Yost air/fuel screw. Harley don't sell those parts...
http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/10/272/7723504

Originally Posted by pig pin
Where can a guy buy these parts?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:02 AM
kd4tsc
Intermediate

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
kd4tsc
Intermediate

BTW, I rebuilt the carb because I felt it may've need it. The bike would only run with the Enrichener **** pulled all the way out. Now I've discovered that the Idle Adjustment Screw was probably set wrong (actually, not even set). I also had crusty sparkplugs and the bike wouldn't start. I felt the carb rebuild would be in order. I did notice trash in the float bowl. Funny thing is when I put the carb back together and installed it on the bike, it started right up. Then when I started messing with the Slow Jet Screw, it wouldn't start. Now it doesn't start. I did no mods to the carb other than install the rebuild kit (which did involve a new "valve" on the float and a float adjustment. I adjusted the float according to the manual. You know, the 15% to 20% level thing.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:30 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

kawasaki dealer can get the air fuel screw and parts. same cv40 parts on the klr650

Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
kawasaki dealer can get the air fuel screw and parts. same cv40 parts on the klr650

Your neighborhood Kawasaki dealer has parts for the CV-40 carburetor. Seems a 1997 Vulcan Classic 1500 uses the same carburetor as Harley-Davidson.
Kawasaki Part Numbers are as follows:
Pilot Air Screw, Part # 16014-1082
Pilot Screw Plug, Part # 92066-1051

Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Overcamber
Road Captain
Default carb parts

I have bought from these guys

http://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com/...e3cc30e324e02b

Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 PM
kd4tsc
Intermediate
Default Idle Jet Problem Resolved/Crusty Plugs, too

OK, I purchased the Yost Idle Speed Screw from Dennis Kirk (they're cheaper than J&P) and installed it on the CV.
Remember from my earlier post; I had taken the carb apart, cleaned everything, and put it back together with a re-build kit. When I removed the "Slow Idle Jet Screw", I had counted the number of turns it took to back it out (10 1/2). Then, when I re-assembled the carb, I re-installed the OEM Idle Speed Screw and turned it in back in 10 1/2 turns. Installed the carb on the bike and she fired right up. The next day, I posted a question on the forum, asking for the correct no. of turns that the screw should actually be out. I was told start with 2 1/2. When i got home that afternoon, I ran the screw all the way in, then backed it out 2 1/2 turns. Now it wouldn't start. I began turning it every which way but loose and it never would start. A few days later, I purchased the Yost screw per recomendation from the forum (someone posted that in a reply to my thread -THANKS!). Upon receipt of the Yost Screw, I installed it. Ran it all the way in, then backed it out 2 1/2 turns. Still wouldn't start. Ok, once again I removed the carb, I now re-installed the original OEM screw and ran it in to 10 1/2 turns in. I then proceeded to turn it in all the way 'til it seated and counted the add'l no. of turns. OK, 10 1/2 turns, then an additional 3 1/4. I now installed the Yost Idle Jet Screw and seated it. Then I backed it out 3 1/4 turns (equals 10 1/2). When I re-installed the carb she fired right up. This was saturday night. Sunday, after church, I went out and once again she fired right up. I gave her about 3-5 minutes to warm up, pushed the choke in, then began screwing down the Idle adjustment screw on the side (remember, in one of my original posts, I had said that the idle screw wasn't even touching the throttle/idle control. Short story long: I've got the choke all the way in and adjusted the Throttle/Idle screw to where she's sitting between 900 and 1,000 RPMs. Looks like about 950 RPMs. All is well with the world.
Here's a special note: In the book, 101 ways to Improve your Harley Davidson (or something like that), It addresses the Slow Idle Speed screw. You're supposed to have to drill out a plug to get to it. The description in the book says that that screw could be anywhere from all the way in tight to almost falling out. Take note of this if you mess with that part of your CV carb. I suggest starting with 3 1/4 turns out.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Three and 1/4 turns out? What size is your pilot jet? You may need a larger (.45mm) pilot jet.

BTW. I have relatives in Taylors.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good deal man! They suggest 2 1/2 as a starting point. I have mine at close to 3 1/2 turns out with a 46 jet. When I put in the 48 jet, it's way too rich. If your lower than 2 1/2 turns out, go with a lower jet and if your over 3 1/2 turns out, go with a larger jet. That seems to be the norm I've found after doing many searches.

Originally Posted by kd4tsc
OK, I purchased the Yost Idle Speed Screw from Dennis Kirk (they're cheaper than J&P) and installed it on the CV.
Remember from my earlier post; I had taken the carb apart, cleaned everything, and put it back together with a re-build kit. When I removed the "Slow Idle Jet Screw", I had counted the number of turns it took to back it out (10 1/2). Then, when I re-assembled the carb, I re-installed the OEM Idle Speed Screw and turned it in back in 10 1/2 turns. Installed the carb on the bike and she fired right up. The next day, I posted a question on the forum, asking for the correct no. of turns that the screw should actually be out. I was told start with 2 1/2. When i got home that afternoon, I ran the screw all the way in, then backed it out 2 1/2 turns. Now it wouldn't start. I began turning it every which way but loose and it never would start. A few days later, I purchased the Yost screw per recomendation from the forum (someone posted that in a reply to my thread -THANKS!). Upon receipt of the Yost Screw, I installed it. Ran it all the way in, then backed it out 2 1/2 turns. Still wouldn't start. Ok, once again I removed the carb, I now re-installed the original OEM screw and ran it in to 10 1/2 turns in. I then proceeded to turn it in all the way 'til it seated and counted the add'l no. of turns. OK, 10 1/2 turns, then an additional 3 1/4. I now installed the Yost Idle Jet Screw and seated it. Then I backed it out 3 1/4 turns (equals 10 1/2). When I re-installed the carb she fired right up. This was saturday night. Sunday, after church, I went out and once again she fired right up. I gave her about 3-5 minutes to warm up, pushed the choke in, then began screwing down the Idle adjustment screw on the side (remember, in one of my original posts, I had said that the idle screw wasn't even touching the throttle/idle control. Short story long: I've got the choke all the way in and adjusted the Throttle/Idle screw to where she's sitting between 900 and 1,000 RPMs. Looks like about 950 RPMs. All is well with the world.
Here's a special note: In the book, 101 ways to Improve your Harley Davidson (or something like that), It addresses the Slow Idle Speed screw. You're supposed to have to drill out a plug to get to it. The description in the book says that that screw could be anywhere from all the way in tight to almost falling out. Take note of this if you mess with that part of your CV carb. I suggest starting with 3 1/4 turns out.

Quick Reply: Slow Idle Jet Screw