Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Advice needed from the cam experts

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010 | 04:27 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

I have had 203's from HD, HQ 0034's, and now Andrews 37's, I have installed some TW26's in 88" engines and they worked well also, Listen to what Bob has suggested to, I have seen some great dyno's from the 204's as well from all the cams you've mentioned, it's all about the combo and what you are looking for, imo the woods cams are way overpriced but they work well, but if you pay $390 for the cams and another $100 for the advance gear your into a good chunk of change, the 300 will work fine if you have a good tuner to tune it, if your looking for alot of bottom end then choose a cam with early intake closing, say a TW21, if mid range is where you want to ride then I'd be happy with the choices that have been mentioned, 37's, 54, Tman 525 and the 26's will work as the 204's.
Good luck on the end results and get a good tune for the best ride.

Old 01-22-2010 | 05:36 PM
thunderrat
Intermediate

Bob,

Thanks, and you're absolutely right, I got my right and left mixed up (been a long week!). I should have said I want the torque shifted to the left a bit, as I want the pulling power to come on a little earlier...............ted

Old 01-22-2010 | 06:07 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by thunderrat
Wholehog,

I'm real interested in the results you get with the Crane 300-2 (now 1-6000 for the TC-96). It looks like a good set of cams to me. I've had Andrews 26's in my last two twin cams and I feel they were definitely worth worth the cost and made the bikes feel like they should have come from the MOCO. I've got an o9 FLHT now and am leaning towards the 1-6000 for this bike because they should shift my torque slightly to the right compared to the 26's. Good luck, ride safe and keep us updated on your results.
Thanks, I will keep you posted on how these cams go. Like others have said have a look at the SE204, that would be a great bolt in cam and you wouldn't need any 4* adv gear.

Old 01-22-2010 | 06:10 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
I have had 203's from HD, HQ 0034's, and now Andrews 37's, I have installed some TW26's in 88" engines and they worked well also, Listen to what Bob has suggested to, I have seen some great dyno's from the 204's as well from all the cams you've mentioned, it's all about the combo and what you are looking for, imo the woods cams are way overpriced but they work well, but if you pay $390 for the cams and another $100 for the advance gear your into a good chunk of change, the 300 will work fine if you have a good tuner to tune it, if your looking for alot of bottom end then choose a cam with early intake closing, say a TW21, if mid range is where you want to ride then I'd be happy with the choices that have been mentioned, 37's, 54, Tman 525 and the 26's will work as the 204's.
Good luck on the end results and get a good tune for the best ride.
TnHeritage, I am interested in what you think of the 37's as a "bolt in" cam for a stock top end? I have read elsewhere that they like some head work or a little bit of compression to work well for heavy bikes? What is your experience?

Old 01-22-2010 | 07:09 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

The HQ 525 and HQ500 are real nice bolt ins and will provide nice torque gains, the 500 comes on a bit earlier, the 525 carries out a bit farther. Both work very well in an otherwise stock engine. Other recommendations such as the T-Man 525, Andrews, 204 etc are also good, it is a matter of exactly what you are looking for and if you may be building the engine a bit more in the future. I have run the Woods 6 in a couple of bikes and builds I have done for others and it is also a good cam but I do not like running an advance key when there are so many others out there that are truly bolt ins that are ground to work well with stock compression.

Old 01-23-2010 | 02:07 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

Wholehog Dalton is correct about the HQ 0034's coming on but to tell the truth the 37's pull harder from the get go to me, seems to respond a little quicker than the hq cam, not saying theres nothing wrong with the hq cam it's just my opinion, I have some dyno charts for both and I'll compare to see if there's any difference that I can see.

Old 01-23-2010 | 06:57 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
Wholehog Dalton is correct about the HQ 0034's coming on but to tell the truth the 37's pull harder from the get go to me, seems to respond a little quicker than the hq cam, not saying theres nothing wrong with the hq cam it's just my opinion, I have some dyno charts for both and I'll compare to see if there's any difference that I can see.
Thanks, that would be great. I have read on this and other forums that the 37 (and the 54) needs a bit more compression and/or some headwork.... what's your opinion on this?

Do you consider the 37s to be a true "bolt in" cam for a bagger?

Thanks.

Last edited by thewholehog; 01-23-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2010 | 07:01 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dalton
The HQ 525 and HQ500 are real nice bolt ins and will provide nice torque gains, the 500 comes on a bit earlier, the 525 carries out a bit farther. Both work very well in an otherwise stock engine. Other recommendations such as the T-Man 525, Andrews, 204 etc are also good, it is a matter of exactly what you are looking for and if you may be building the engine a bit more in the future. I have run the Woods 6 in a couple of bikes and builds I have done for others and it is also a good cam but I do not like running an advance key when there are so many others out there that are truly bolt ins that are ground to work well with stock compression.
Thanks for the feedback Dalton. Its funny you mentioned the HQ525 as I have researched this cam and couldn't find any feedback at all? I would have thought that this would be a popular bolt in cam?

You mentioned the Tman525, Andrews and se204.... do you consider these true bolt in cams? (ie stock compression) out of these, which would come on the earliest and hang on the longest?

Thanks

Last edited by thewholehog; 01-23-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2010 | 07:39 PM
fripple
Road Warrior

What about the SE-204? It might be a nice compliment to the lower gearing of the 09-10 bikes.

Old 01-23-2010 | 09:11 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by fripple
What about the SE-204? It might be a nice compliment to the lower gearing of the 09-10 bikes.
Hi Fripple, can you comment on the SE204 in relation to a stock compression bike as a bolt in cam? Do you have any experience running this cam?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Advice needed from the cam experts