Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Advice needed from the cam experts

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010 | 06:02 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

the woods cam works best with a compression at or above 10.0
the 525 will work with 9.5 compression

the advance gear will allow the cam to open sooner there forth altering the specs of the cam and allow it to operate at a lower compression better. you can also take the heads off and replace the head gasket plus have the stock heads decked to acheive the proper specs for the cam to work ....the advance gear is easier...
the 525 cam is similar to andrews 37.
the tw6-6
andrews 37
T-Man 525 cam
all are in the same ball park. each will produce around the same power
but each has its own specific character and diffrent compression to acheive similar results.
some guys dont want compression releases and live in hot regions. i ran the tw6 in my bike with out releases but they were in there for a very short time.
JD,s cycleworks in PA has been doing a lot of T-Man 525 cam and Baisley head bikes
( stock 96 ci motors ) leaving the lower end and pistons in the bike just replacing the heads and cam and with excellant results. bikes were tuned with the TTS Master tune. 9.6 compression bikes run cool and very nice ....

Old 01-20-2010 | 11:26 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
the woods cam works best with a compression at or above 10.0
the 525 will work with 9.5 compression....
Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Sorry to ask again, but the above statement which 525 cam are you referring to? HQ or Tman?

Without headwork (completely stock top end) which out of the below cams would you say works best?

HQ525
Tman525
Andrews 37
Andrews 54

Thanks again for your advice. This is the first twin cam motor I have ever owned.

Old 01-21-2010 | 07:05 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

I would like to know what everyone's experience with Head Quarters has been. When you look at their website they apologize for not having enough support due to the volume of work that they have (in so many words). I'm guessing it's something else... any comments?

I am looking at an HQ-0034 with the Hurricane grind. I have heard this cam is reasonably adaptive to future improvements (increased displacement). I think it might be a little high rpm on the torgue curve but I think that they have enough torque in the crusing range that I will be happy with the compromise. Any comments on this, too?

C#

Old 01-21-2010 | 09:24 AM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by thewholehog
Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Sorry to ask again, but the above statement which 525 cam are you referring to? HQ or Tman?

Without headwork (completely stock top end) which out of the below cams would you say works best?

HQ525
Tman525
Andrews 37
Andrews 54

Thanks again for your advice. This is the first twin cam motor I have ever owned.
the wood tw6-6 with a 4 degree advance
T-MAN 525
i have herd from others (FLTRI Bob) the 54 works good also but have not tried it.
i like the T-MAN and Wood cams.
they all work about the same like i mentioned
what are you looking for?
lets say you go with the wood or t-man this yr and headwork next yr all you will have to do is get your heads done ,releife cut the pistons and re-tune and you will gain more.

Old 01-21-2010 | 06:33 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
...what are you looking for?..........
I am looking for performance gains without losing bottom end TQ.

Does the Tman 525 and the Andrews 54 also need the 4* advance?

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2010 | 07:53 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

I'm going to say that the cams you have in hand would probably do that for you in a stock compression 96" motor. But, yes, you would probably want to advance those cams too. High lift, long duration cams aren't necessarily the best choice for a mild street motor. Bigger isn't always better (never mind what she says.....lol)

Last edited by 07RoadHawg; 01-21-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2010 | 11:08 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
I'm going to say that the cams you have in hand would probably do that for you in a stock compression 96" motor. But, yes, you would probably want to advance those cams too. High lift, long duration cams aren't necessarily the best choice for a mild street motor. Bigger isn't always better (never mind what she says.....lol)
Thanks RoadHawg for answering this question.

Yes I am going to use these cams now because I already have them. But I am also keen on learning what the other cams and their characteristics so when it comes time to change in the future I will know which way to go.

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2010 | 12:26 PM
thunderrat
Intermediate

Wholehog,

I'm real interested in the results you get with the Crane 300-2 (now 1-6000 for the TC-96). It looks like a good set of cams to me. I've had Andrews 26's in my last two twin cams and I feel they were definitely worth worth the cost and made the bikes feel like they should have come from the MOCO. I've got an o9 FLHT now and am leaning towards the 1-6000 for this bike because they should shift my torque slightly to the right compared to the 26's. Good luck, ride safe and keep us updated on your results.

Old 01-22-2010 | 01:15 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by thunderrat
Wholehog,

.... I've got an o9 FLHT now and am leaning towards the 1-6000 for this bike because they should shift my torque slightly to the right.....
You may want to take a good look at the SE204 cams for your application.
Bob

Old 01-22-2010 | 02:06 PM
prodrag1320
Banned

the crane 300 is a real nice touring cam,used alot,would have used more if crane offered it in a geardrive version(not real sure why they didnt)

Quick Reply: Advice needed from the cam experts