Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Advice needed from the cam experts

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010 | 07:31 PM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by thewholehog
Yes, you are right I don't know until I tune them in. But the whole point of my post was to determine "how the cake would come out" before actually baking it (to use your metaphor) by getting other peoples greater wisdom and experience.

It will be much more $$$ if I pay for the install and dyno tune of these cams only to be disappointed and have to pay again for installation and tuning of a second set of cams!

I bought these cams based on reading articles and recommendations from posts on this and other sites, but after reading sooooo much about the Woods 6-6 cams I am second guessing my decision.
Dont buy so much into the woods infomercial that some people put on these forums. Do they work, Absoloutley, are they noisy, YES ! , are there other cams that work, YES ! , Take a look into the andrews 37 or the 54, I do think you would fare better with a cam along those lines, The cam you got picked out is so mild, I cant see you being happy with that choice. hope that helps.

Old 01-19-2010 | 08:45 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by thewholehog
Yes, you are right I don't know until I tune them in. But the whole point of my post was to determine "how the cake would come out" before actually baking it (to use your metaphor) by getting other peoples greater wisdom and experience.

It will be much more $$$ if I pay for the install and dyno tune of these cams only to be disappointed and have to pay again for installation and tuning of a second set of cams!

I bought these cams based on reading articles and recommendations from posts on this and other sites, but after reading sooooo much about the Woods 6-6 cams I am second guessing my decision.
i dont really think you know who you are talking with. FLTRI forgot more about engine builds then most of us know. i have learned a lot reading his posts on other forums and he is highly respected in the motorcycle /racing field. you asked a question and he gave you his opinion from experience not from making a phone call to some one.
imo dont you think you should of asked this questionn before you brought the cams. if you run the 6 cam you will have to advance it. i had a bike with the wood cam and it dynoed nicely also does the 37 and the t-man 525.
Dave has been doing a lot of T-Man builds and have shown consistent numbers all around from his stuff.
put the cam in and run it get it tuned like Bob stated and ride it if you dont like it sell it next winter and do a bigger build thats all. with out head work no matter what cam you put in there it will not be a Barn burner

Old 01-19-2010 | 09:03 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

Even the mildest aftermarket cams are a HUGE improvement over stock EPA cams. So you don't have to worry about more power. You'll have it, and in a useable range. But if you race your bike all the time, a different set would work even better.

Old 01-19-2010 | 09:50 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

Like mp said, you will notice a difference with those cams over stock. They actually look a lot like the Andrews 26 which I really liked in my otherwise stock 96". They should bump your low end torque, but may run out of steam on the top end. If you rev past 5k very often, they might not be the cam for you. If you ride between 2k-4k, I think you will be pleased.

Remember, it's all about matching up the components to each other. A general rule of thumb.... the later the intake closes, the farther to the right the torque curve moves (all things being equal i.e. static compression). That's why SEDELUXE mentioned needing to advance the Wood 6-6 in a stock compression motor. The intake closes relatively late and bleeds off cylinder pressure which will cost you low end torque. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-20-2010 | 12:37 AM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
i dont really think you know who you are talking with. FLTRI forgot more about engine builds then most of us know. i have learned a lot reading his posts on other forums and he is highly respected in the motorcycle /racing field. you asked a question and he gave you his opinion from experience not from making a phone call to some one.
imo dont you think you should of asked this questionn before you brought the cams. if you run the 6 cam you will have to advance it. i had a bike with the wood cam and it dynoed nicely also does the 37 and the t-man 525.
Dave has been doing a lot of T-Man builds and have shown consistent numbers all around from his stuff.
put the cam in and run it get it tuned like Bob stated and ride it if you dont like it sell it next winter and do a bigger build thats all. with out head work no matter what cam you put in there it will not be a Barn burner
sorry sedeluxe sir, no I didn't know who I was talking with. No disrespect intended sir, just a discussion about cam choices!

FWIW I did ask questions before I purchased these cams, and that is how I wound up picking the Crane cams - I got a ,lot of people advising me to go with the Andrews 26 and similar..... But now after doing a bit more research I am not so sure that such a "mild" cam is going to be worth the effort and $$$.

Last edited by thewholehog; 01-20-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-20-2010 | 12:38 AM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
Like mp said, you will notice a difference with those cams over stock. They actually look a lot like the Andrews 26 which I really liked in my otherwise stock 96". They should bump your low end torque, but may run out of steam on the top end. If you rev past 5k very often, they might not be the cam for you. If you ride between 2k-4k, I think you will be pleased.

Remember, it's all about matching up the components to each other. A general rule of thumb.... the later the intake closes, the farther to the right the torque curve moves (all things being equal i.e. static compression). That's why SEDELUXE mentioned needing to advance the Wood 6-6 in a stock compression motor. The intake closes relatively late and bleeds off cylinder pressure which will cost you low end torque. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks that good advice.

Old 01-20-2010 | 12:39 AM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by gsxrboy96
Dont buy so much into the woods infomercial that some people put on these forums. Do they work, Absoloutley, are they noisy, YES ! , are there other cams that work, YES ! , Take a look into the andrews 37 or the 54, I do think you would fare better with a cam along those lines, The cam you got picked out is so mild, I cant see you being happy with that choice. hope that helps.
Yes there are other great cams, thanks for the advice.

Old 01-20-2010 | 07:22 AM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
How will you determine if it was a mistake without tuning them in to your build?
Until the tune is right you haven't a clue as to whether it was a good move or not.
Kinda like eating the dough and determining if the cake would taste good before its baked.
Bob
Apologies for my bad comprehension - I now understand what you were trying to say.

yes, it would be wise to try them before judging them.

Old 01-20-2010 | 05:30 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Its a good cam it will work good. But the Woods t6 cams would be little. better. Tman 525 is even better. My cents....
Hi, can you please tell me why you think the Tman 525 is better than the Woods cam?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-20-2010 | 05:37 PM
thewholehog
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
...... if you run the 6 cam you will have to advance it. i had a bike with the wood cam and it dynoed nicely also does the 37 and the t-man 525.
Hi, you mentioned that I will need to advance the Woods 6-6.... would I also need to advance other cams that have 40* or later intake close (eg Tman525, Andrews 54, HQ525) or is it just needed with the TW6-6? My bike is FLHX and I ride solo.

Thanks again for the advice.

Quick Reply: Advice needed from the cam experts