Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

95 upgrade needs more juice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 PM
pcfixer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 upgrade needs more juice

I have an 06 Street Glide that had the 88 to 95 upgrade and I want to go faster and quicker (sound familiar?). I am going to put SE heads on for sure to help it breathe a tad better. But I want to kick up the cam from the 203 to something a little more nasty. I dont want to have to screw with the pistons or anything exotic to accomdate some big cam as $$ are an issue. I ride both single and 2-up and need to keep some torque to move the big bagger around. I would love to hear if anyone likes the SE heads w/SE251 or SE253 cams (or other HD cams)? Or is there an after market cam that comes highly recomended paired with the SE heads? I know with the 95 CI, V/H Pro Pipe, SE Heads and a Cam I wont run away and hide from everyone. But I would sure like to keep up with the guys that have fatter wallets. Looking for some HD Forum magic!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

send your heads out to be ported,T-Man, Hillside , Baisley , HQ all come highly reputable.
a wood 6 , T-man 525 cam will help out nicely.
what are you using for a tuning device???

Old 01-14-2010, 09:35 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to add something to what SEDELUXE said; Along with porting the heads, they will install brand spring sets, new valve guides, bigger valves, CC the chambers for the compression that you want, and they will install compression releases. The SE heads are more expensive and they don't perform as well.
I couln't stand the thought about my bike being tore apart for two to four weeks while my heads were getting doctored. It was worth the wait!

Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 AM
pcfixer
1st Gear

I have an SE Race Tuner on the bike

Old 01-15-2010, 09:20 AM
MLWilson
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm building my 3rd engine with HQ heads and SE cams. I have the 251 in my Street Bob; no matter how bigga boy you are if you're not holding tight when you twist that throttle, little girls sounds WILL come out of your body.

Last edited by MLWilson; 01-15-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:40 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

If $$ are an issue, pull the heads, install a .030" Cometic head gasket and a set of Andrews 26 cams. You didn't mention fuel management but if you don't have a system, get one and have her tuned by a pro. If you are running the Propipe, no need to upgrade the exhaust.

The '06 heads aren't that bad and the money would be better spent on a little more compression, tighter squish band, torque cams and a good tune. A lot of bang for the buck. JMHO

Old 01-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SE (or S&S) heads will perform better once they are worked over vs. stock, but the gains are disappointing for some people because of the additional $$$ outlay for the SE (or S&S) heads vs. using the stock HD heads.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:38 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting your stock heads reworked by Dan Vance, Head Quarters, BigBoyz, Cycle Rama, or Hillside will out perform S&S and SE anyday.
Originally Posted by Firetender
SE (or S&S) heads will perform better once they are worked over vs. stock, but the gains are disappointing for some people because of the additional $$$ outlay for the SE (or S&S) heads vs. using the stock HD heads.

Last edited by producer; 01-15-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-15-2010, 04:35 PM
pcfixer
1st Gear

And what is the cost of getting your heads worked instead of purchasing new SE heads? Can you give me some approximation? That is my big word for the day.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:48 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The link below is one of several competitors for head work of all stages. I am not a customer or involved but do think their website is a very good education in cost/benefit etc

http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/

Quick Reply: 95 upgrade needs more juice