Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Need help-Dragtron vs Screaming Eagle AC

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure exactly what you mean hommes, but thanks for replying.
Marsh

Last edited by Marsh; 12-22-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:33 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default marsh

What i mean is this: I think the replacement filter would have to fit tight in the housing. I can't remember if you have a 96 but most everyone i know that does have one talks about how they "Puke" oil out thru the a/c. Most of the time the oil get eaten up by the motor. Well, that's the way they were designed. My thinking is that the replacement filter ought not get in the way of that particular function.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a Stage III former 88", now 95". None of the AC's I've used in the past have "puked"
Marsh

Last edited by Marsh; 12-22-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:41 PM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsh
I posted this question on another forum and got no response so I thought I would try this well informed group.
As you can see from my sig, I have a stage III motor and am considering a Dragtron II AC because I like the looks of it. I have found a source that converts these carb only AC's to EFI. My question is; is the Dragtron II able to deliver enough air for my motor, or am I better off staying with the SE?
Thanks,
Marsh
I also like the look and am interested in putting one on my 09 flhrc....I had one on my 05 kaw nomad 1600 efi intake...and I was able to match a k&N to the dragtron....please let me know the source of mounting plates to make it work on my HD efi....thanks

Old 04-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

bvap16, check out Frantic Cycles from leo at leo@ifrantic.com
You really need the K&N. The sponge filter is ****.
Marsh

Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 PM
gdt3
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't give you a web-site, but they are in the J&P catalog and listed for carbs.
Here's what they look like.
Thanks for your responses.
Marsh
Hi Marsh. I know this is an old thread, but I am seriously considering the Dragtron because I love the looks and I need more breathing. I have a 2001 Wide Glide with stock filter housing and K&N filter. I put Andrews 21 cams in it and it will not run worth a crap with the outer cover on. I had to drill lots of holes in the backing plate to allow enough air in, so that it would run half decent.
Are you able to tell me what mounting bracket that is? The ones I see for the Dragtron are steel and not billet like yours.
By the way, I totally disagree with the opinions against the foam filter. I have K&N filters and would use the foam first. They catch everything, breath at least as good as K&N and are super easy to clean and oil. Use No-Toil. It is environmentally friendly and you do not need solvent to clean the filter.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
Don

Old 02-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
thats a nice looking air cleaner i do not think you would have to worry about restriction with that. i wish they made it for my purpose
G
I used to work in a shop that sold a lot of Drag Specialties products. Dragtron air cleaners while nice looking were never known for the quality of their filter media. Think of a very course fiber material similar to a scotch brite type product. Externally the filter looks very similar (metal out screen, filter element material, inner metal screen).

While looks are important related to air filter appearance, keeping dust and minute particles out of the engine is my main focus.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gdt3
Hi Marsh. I know this is an old thread, but I am seriously considering the Dragtron because I love the looks and I need more breathing. I have a 2001 Wide Glide with stock filter housing and K&N filter. I put Andrews 21 cams in it and it will not run worth a crap with the outer cover on. I had to drill lots of holes in the backing plate to allow enough air in, so that it would run half decent.
Are you able to tell me what mounting bracket that is? The ones I see for the Dragtron are steel and not billet like yours.
By the way, I totally disagree with the opinions against the foam filter. I have K&N filters and would use the foam first. They catch everything, breath at least as good as K&N and are super easy to clean and oil. Use No-Toil. It is environmentally friendly and you do not need solvent to clean the filter.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
Don
Well, I found that putting the K&N on mine made a huge difference. With the foam it felt sick. Just didn't work well and was about to go back to the SE air clean but once I found the K&N, as was good. I'm not sure what you are asking Don, but check out Frantic Cycle,
Marsh

Old 02-05-2011, 10:43 AM
gdt3
Tourer

Well, I found that putting the K&N on mine made a huge difference. With the foam it felt sick. Just didn't work well and was about to go back to the SE air clean but once I found the K&N, as was good. I'm not sure what you are asking Don, but check out Frantic Cycle,
Marsh
Thanks Marsh. Thanks for that back to back comparison of the filters. I will definitely not even start my bike with the stock foam filter. I must believe that the foam filter itself was junk and not the quality of Twin Air or Uni foam.
I checked out Frantic Cycle. It's a good site.

The main question was about your support plate. It looks like it is an aluminum piece and not steel like is suggested with the Dragtron. Do you know what brand and model it is? It is gorgeous and just adds to the overall beautiful look.
Cheers,
Don

Old 02-05-2011, 10:51 AM
gdt3
Tourer

Hi Marsh. I forgot to ask if you managed to keep that stainless steel mesh in the housing when you put your K&N in it.
Thanks.
Don

Quick Reply: Need help-Dragtron vs Screaming Eagle AC