Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Procharger ordered for Rocker!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got your email I will look at your map later today or in the morning. Give a shout I would like to chat email wise you are Way down south lol lol hours apart lol. I will give you OP on the what you are doing.

Originally Posted by 05FATfatty
Hi guys. Thanks for your input. Pretty much what I thought. Back to tuner tomorrow. Happy to have AFR at 13:1 when cruising (20% throttle?), but when on the noise needs to come down to about 12:1. The original tune had the AFR at 11:1 right through-that's why I was getting 35mpg on cruise, and 28mpg when on the noise, or the ambient temps got over 110 deg F. Need a map like you get with PC5, where you can set a target AFR right through with throttle compared to revs.
Can you get a PC5 for a twin cam (O2 sensors fitted of course), or should I go for a ThunderMax? Spent AU$900 (US$810) on tuning so far (had to do full retune with new blower). Also, the motor has 20,000 miles on it now. Nowhere near worn out, but when would this start to become an issue? Big end & bores still original.
The learning curve never stops going up!
I think I've said it before, but if you learn from your mistakes, I should be a genius by now!
Cheers, Mike

Old 05-12-2010, 01:00 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

For what you are doing save your money and just tune it with your Power Commander. and get that wide open throttle 12.1 and lower so it does not fall on its face.... With your fuel afr at 12.1 or lower your wont trip you auto knock. When in boost range your comp can be 16 .1 .comp or higher depending on motor build. you need more fuellllllllllllllllllllllllll tell your tuner that if he does not undrstand show the Pro Charger book you get with you kit on how to install is tells you how to tune it.

Hi guys. Thanks for your input. Pretty much what I thought. Back to tuner tomorrow. Happy to have AFR at 13:1 when cruising (20% throttle?), but when on the noise needs to come down to about 12:1. The original tune had the AFR at 11:1 right through-that's why I was getting 35mpg on cruise, and 28mpg when on the noise, or the ambient temps got over 110 deg F. Need a map like you get with PC5, where you can set a target AFR right through with throttle compared to revs.
Can you get a PC5 for a twin cam (O2 sensors fitted of course), or should I go for a ThunderMax? Spent AU$900 (US$810) on tuning so far (had to do full retune with new blower). Also, the motor has 20,000 miles on it now. Nowhere near worn out, but when would this start to become an issue? Big end & bores still original.
The learning curve never stops going up!
I think I've said it before, but if you learn from your mistakes, I should be a genius by now!
Cheers, Mike

Old 05-13-2010, 03:49 AM
05FATfatty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update. Discovered that tuner had given me back the bike with almost no fuel in the tank! (I put 26L in a 27L tank!) When accelerating, what remained went to the back of the tank, leaving fuel pick up sucking air. Doh! Also, his tuned AFR is 13:1 at lower revs (below 2500rpm) and throttle (below 40%), and 12.7:1 at higher settings. I'll still take the bike back, with the Procharger manual this time.
Thanks for your input guys.
Cheers, Mike

Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 PM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Quick update. Discovered that tuner had given me back the bike with almost no fuel in the tank! (I put 26L in a 27L tank!) When accelerating, what remained went to the back of the tank, leaving fuel pick up sucking air. Doh! Also, his tuned AFR is 13:1 at lower revs (below 2500rpm) and throttle (below 40%), and 12.7:1 at higher settings. I'll still take the bike back, with the Procharger manual this time.
Thanks for your input guys.
Cheers, Mike
Good luck with everything!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 AM
05FATfatty
Advanced

Bike is so nice to ride now. You were right Frank. Went on a 120 mile blatt with a mate on his '03 Fatty, 103 cube, heads, 10.5:1 comp, cams etc on the weekend. (mine-stock 88 cube, 211 cams, mild head work). Our bikes have similar power & torque figures-mine 129 RWHP, his 120 RWHP, mine 121 ft/lbs torque, his 118 ft/lbs torque. Both done on same dyno, similar atmospheric conditions. Feels like the gearing on mine needs to be much taller, as it runs out of revs in 1st and 2nd so quickly-I still have 5500 rpm redline. Still uses lots of fuel-about 30mpg-about the same as the 103 cube Fatty, but that might be a factor of how hard I was twisting the throttle! Good thing I have a 27 liter tank! Haven't done a cruising run yet. Now very happy with bike. Was good before, but this is better. I will not however, be riding it back to Perth to test it out (5500 mile round trip)!
Still considering ThunderMax & O2 sensors down the track.
Cheers, Mike

Old 06-02-2010, 08:27 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

I am glade it all worked out for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you need something just call or email.

Thanks

Bike is so nice to ride now. You were right Frank. Went on a 120 mile blatt with a mate on his '03 Fatty, 103 cube, heads, 10.5:1 comp, cams etc on the weekend. (mine-stock 88 cube, 211 cams, mild head work). Our bikes have similar power & torque figures-mine 129 RWHP, his 120 RWHP, mine 121 ft/lbs torque, his 118 ft/lbs torque. Both done on same dyno, similar atmospheric conditions. Feels like the gearing on mine needs to be much taller, as it runs out of revs in 1st and 2nd so quickly-I still have 5500 rpm redline. Still uses lots of fuel-about 30mpg-about the same as the 103 cube Fatty, but that might be a factor of how hard I was twisting the throttle! Good thing I have a 27 liter tank! Haven't done a cruising run yet. Now very happy with bike. Was good before, but this is better. I will not however, be riding it back to Perth to test it out (5500 mile round trip)!
Still considering ThunderMax & O2 sensors down the track.
Cheers, Mike

Old 06-03-2010, 03:50 AM
05FATfatty
Advanced

Thanks Frank. Information is power! You can never stop learning-never think you know it all!
Cheers, Mike

Old 06-13-2010, 04:14 AM
05FATfatty
Advanced

Hi all. I thought that after getting the new dyno tune, all would be well, and fuel usage would improve. Wrong! Yesterday, on a 120 mile ride, got 25mpg (US gallons), all steady highway work 65-75mph. Thought-damn! Emailed Frank for tips. Then, this morning, checked my oil level. Needed 2 liters! Only holds 3.3 liters in total. Guessing this would make it run hot, and computer would richen things up to attempt to cool it down. Did another 100 mile ride today after topping oil up, and fuel consumption improved 25%. My bike tends to use a bit of oil on long trips, (20,000 miles on motor), and I had neglected to check it after two 1200 mile trips recently. Doh! Runs like a dream though-pulls like a train. 165 HP & 122 ft/lbs will do that.
Any of you had experiences like this, where high engine temps lead to high fuel usage? Might have contributed to my high fuel use 5 months ago when ambient temps were 120 deg F.
Cheers, Mike

Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 AM
05FATfatty
Advanced

Hi guys. After realising that running hot is potentially a problem, I think I could do with an oil cooler. Any of you done this with the intercooler on? It would have to fit on the lower half of the frame tubes, below the intercooler. Any tips appreciated.
Cheers, Mike

Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 AM
05FATfatty
Advanced

Have looked at oil cooler and filter adapter by Jagg-black oil filter adapter & 6 row horizontal oil cooler-mounted below the voltage regulator on the front of the lower frame. Any thoughts?
Cheers, Mike

Quick Reply: Procharger ordered for Rocker!