Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cams, cams, and more cams!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 05:59 AM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cams, cams, and more cams!

I've read and read what each manufacturer has to say about thier cams. Now I want to hear it from the horse's mouth. I'm leaning toward the Kuryakyn Wild Things with an S&S gear drive set up. A buddy of mine has Andrews cams in his. They seem to be really good. S&S has some good numbers as well, but if the Wild Things are putting out the numbers they claim, I think I'm in. What's your take on the matter? I'd really appreciate some feedback on the matter. I just pulled the nose cone on the bike tonight. The chain tensioners aren't looking too good, so I'm probably gonna tackle this project in the next couple weeks. If it makes any difference, I'm running a V&H 2 into 1 Pro Pipe, SE ac, Andrews 34 tooth pully for a lilttle higher gear and less RPM's on the road. I'm looking for that bottom end grunt, but a lot of my travels are out on the interstate for long hauls so I want a pretty good range on the power band.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:12 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Default RE: Cams, cams, and more cams!

I'd be droppin' in the Wild Things TC-2G, or if ya wanna get more radical with the motor, the high lift 26G.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:16 AM
jimb
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen so many different results I don't know what to believe.All the manufacturers have great claims but I've seen rsults from the same set-ups vary greatly.None of them say" buy our cams and you notice a difference".Look at some of the results on nightrider.com.I sat down and actually compared specs on 5 different manufacturers.All the cams seem close, maybe alittle off on duration or degree of the opening and closing of valves.If you notice, all of them seem to say .510 lift.However not all of them have the same exhaust lift.I.E. s&s .510-.510.Screaming Eagle 203's are .510-.493.I personally was'nt as concerned with high hp numbers as I was torque.I have'nt dynoe'd and not sure I'm going to.Fear of dissapointment maybe.However I do know, for fact,I have smoked a bike with a stage one upgrade considerably.That I'm happy with.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:59 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dhutchison

I've read and read what each manufacturer has to say about thier cams. Now I want to hear it from the horse's mouth. I'm leaning toward the Kuryakyn Wild Things with an S&S gear drive set up. A buddy of mine has Andrews cams in his. They seem to be really good. S&S has some good numbers as well, but if the Wild Things are putting out the numbers they claim, I think I'm in. What's your take on the matter? I'd really appreciate some feedback on the matter. I just pulled the nose cone on the bike tonight. The chain tensioners aren't looking too good, so I'm probably gonna tackle this project in the next couple weeks. If it makes any difference, I'm running a V&H 2 into 1 Pro Pipe, SE ac, Andrews 34 tooth pully for a lilttle higher gear and less RPM's on the road. I'm looking for that bottom end grunt, but a lot of my travels are out on the interstate for long hauls so I want a pretty good range on the power band.
In a stock motor, I would lean toward the Wild Thing TC-1G or the Head Quarter HQ-0034G......those are the 2 I'm looking at when/if I do it and stay with 88".

http://www.head-quarters.com/index.html has some good info on it regarding the HQ-0034 cams.......and some very good numbers too.

Steve

Old 07-16-2006, 12:11 PM
fivestar
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Derek, I do not have a reply to your question, but Have one of my own for you.
Did you use a fuelpak with the installation of your V&H 2 into 1 pipes. If so, what settings are you using and is the bike performing well?

If I knew anything about the cams I'd give you my opinion, but since I have not researched I will keep quite.

Thanks
Brian

Old 07-16-2006, 02:46 PM
dhutchison
Tourer

No fuel pack. I run a PCIII. I like it just fine, but I've never tried the V&H thing, so I can't really help you either.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:06 AM
FASTFXD
Cruiser

Don't think in terms of a cam alone. Think in terms of a package - where the cam/heads/exhaust complement one another for the desired effect. Think hard about how you ride and where you want your power. Andrews, S&S, Crane, etc. all offer good products... and OBTW - Andrews makes a lot of the cams for other brands. Where do you want your power and then what recipe do you want to get you there.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Derek.... Is this for your bagger or fatboy? Fatboy can take more cam "easier" because or weight and typical riding style.

You know the drill... match the compression ratio of your motor to the recommendation of the cam vendor (stick very close to it), on that trip you've got coming up you will encounter plenty of low octane gas and if you exceed the recommendation to "squeak out higher #'s "you will find it ping it's **** off" when you are stuck with less than ideal fuel. Look at the power bands of the candidate cams and see if their "sweet spot" is at or near the RPM range you ride most. Don't worry about huge numbers, go for good/better/best where you actually need/want/use it.

Complement the cams with some good flowing heads. THere are tons of places doing heads now. I've used the high doolar guys in the past, and I've sent two sets to Bean (@BigBoyz) and he does great work for a very reasonable price.

FInally... the tune will make ot break it.

I know, thanks for nothing.... Sorry, I have no experience w/ the WildTHings but they do have very intriguing (sp?) write-ups. I could share my opinon on various Andrews or S&S cams, but that's not what ya asked for....

Good luck & if you do go with the Kuryakyn's, pls let us know how you like them.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:41 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

I would be curious to see results if you went the Wild Things route as well. Most of the builds I have seen dyno's for using those parts were tuned by World Class/Mike Roland. The numbers are impressive but I wonder if there is some magic to tuning these parts that the everyday dyno jockey may not know.