Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Possible issue with Magneti-Marelli

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:57 AM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Possible issue with Magneti-Marelli

Went to look at a 01 Road King Classic at my local dealer. Bike was in wonderful condition. I was pretty excited with what I found. Fired it up and the bike didn't want to idle well in my mind for a fuel inj bike. It started fine, gave it a little throttle and when it came back down it really idled slow, barely continuing to run it seemed. Is this an issue with the MM injection system or is this something that can be taken care of with adjustment of the idle or mixture? I really liked this bike but I don't want to get into something that will be frustrating trying to iron out. I plan to go back and take this bike for a test ride to see how it runs out on the road.

Failed to mention....the bike appears to be bone stock. Stock exhaust which I assumes means stock air box/filter. It has 35k miles on it.

TIA

Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MM

I received a set up sheet from R&R Cycle that they use for those injection systems before dyno tuning. It's a step by step proceedure. The copy I have is not very clear, Call Art or Brandon at R&R (603-645-1488) and they will get you a copy.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clean the throttle body with a spray cleaner. Direct the cleaner into the holes at the top of each throat. These holes allow air to pass through when the throttle blade is closed to control the idle speed.

If that doesn't help you will have to reset the hot and cold idle with the two stop screws on the throttle. One screw in the lower right of the face of the body controls the hot idle. The cold screw is located on the throttle assembly and is best seen and reached by rotating the throttle to the open position. Use a #10 torx screw driver to adjust.

After adjustment pull the 5 & 10 amp fuse that is under the right side cover for about 15 min. Replace the fuses and switch the ignition on until the IAC motor steps out and stops. Switch the ignition off and wait until the relay clicks. Do this one more time to reset the idle memory in the ECM.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A simple adjustment of the cold and/or hot idle, no biggie. These are great bikes to own and modify. Besides, there's no getting away from Magnetti-Marelli fuel injection systems, only the ECM on the 2002-and-up is a Delphi part, all the rest are still MM systems, they've changed from a dual-throat to a single throat intake. I've gone from stock through Stage III+ and really there are no significant issues different than any other HD.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:24 PM
car5car
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me 2 days to diagnose bad spark plug wire. Insulation was damaged and spark was jumping to engine sometimes. Second problem was throttle pos. sensor.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:28 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MGN54
I really liked this bike but I don't want to get into something that will be frustrating trying to iron out.
I would ask the dealer to look into it before purchase.