Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

How long does it take to replace pistons, cylinders and cams?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009 | 07:14 PM
car5car
|
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does it take to replace pistons, cylinders and cams?

Let us say 3rd-5th time? 1st time? Thanks.

Old 12-10-2009 | 10:45 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

If you're like me, 1st time you'll be doing it by the book, reading step-by-step instructions and double/tripple checking everything you do, which means (again, assuming you're like me) that you'll probably spend 20 - 25 clock hours on the task *if* you don't run across any head-scratchers. This assumes your mill is still in the frame with the bike still fully assembled.

Old 12-11-2009 | 08:09 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Flat Rate is about 6.5 hours, for the Recon of top end, and 1.2 for cam cavity...

Old 12-11-2009 | 08:35 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Dis-assembly and re-assembly to include set ring end-gap, check valve/piston, and squish, clear rocker boxes, if needed, install gear drives, if using, install clutch spring, replace fluids/filter, set plug gap, heat cycle, and road test---------13.5 hrs, and more if "hot-toppers", and/or chrome covers are on.
Scott

Old 12-11-2009 | 08:46 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Dis-assembly and re-assembly to include set ring end-gap, check valve/piston, and squish, clear rocker boxes, if needed, install gear drives, if using, install clutch spring, replace fluids/filter, set plug gap, heat cycle, and road test---------13.5 hrs, and more if "hot-toppers", and/or chrome covers are on.
Scott

LOL.....You said Hot Toppers! I think the local guys here charge an extra hour of labor if you have those damn things.

Old 12-11-2009 | 09:27 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm like Z

One thing I do since I really don't do this particular thing a lot is get the people doing the cylinders to fit the pistons and rings to the cylinders. They clean up, set gaps and insert the piston with one keeper, lubed up.

Another is getting the heads done by people who do this for a living.

Cause they do this all the time and it is cheaper that getting all that wrong.

Cam tools are expensive enough

Old 12-11-2009 | 09:36 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everything is relative.

You think something takes a time and is a PITA, till you compare.

My brother has a new 3/4 ton chevy Diesel and he was talking about maybe hot rodding it some.
I got a mag with projects about doing that kind of stuff.

First thing they said was, "Lift Cab off the frame". Holy Molley. Had to reread that. Though maybe they meant the Hood. Nope. Sure enough, The CAB.

And there I though taking the gas tank off the Fatboy was a PITA.

You gotta be young to Hot Rod a Diesel pickup.

Old 12-11-2009 | 10:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
You gotta be young to Hot Rod a Diesel pickup.
Or part of a large family!

Old 12-11-2009 | 12:33 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It takes me from 8am to 5pm unless some big snafu pops up (that is how long it has taken me on the last two one of which I just did a month or so ago). That is with the cylinders already bored, but not including cleaning them with soapy water. That is also with either 2.1 exhaust of tru duals (takes longer with stock head pipes). The first time it probably took over 12 hours. I watched a guy in Sturgis at the HD shop in Rapid City who was doing a big bore in the tent the dealer had set up in the parking lot (mostly just adding chrome pieces out there) and he told me it would take him 3 hours but he got paid for 8 hours labor. I watched him for about an hour and no doubt he would be done in 3 hours. He had obviously done it so many times he could have done it blindfolded.

Last edited by mtclassic; 12-11-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2009 | 01:06 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by beaureed445
LOL.....You said Hot Toppers! I think the local guys here charge an extra hour of labor if you have those damn things.
I did a 103 build last year including fixing the crank so the whole motor was out. I charged him 2.5 hours for the Extras he had on it including hot toppers.
Everyone one was siliconed on!!!

Quick Reply: How long does it take to replace pistons, cylinders and cams?