Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

need help please with a new cam choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:25 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help please with a new cam choice

ok, i got my info staright. my shop finally faxed me whats in my bike.
drop in 95ci flat top harley pistons
zippers 1.9 heads w comp releases
andrews 26 cams twin tec ignition
rinehart true duals w/ comp baffles
cv carb with power tube
arlen ness big sucker

ok, with the above parts ive bought and had tuned, the bike weezes to 74hp and @ 87ft lbs torque. the motor is @ 9.8 to 1 compression. im thinking i have too much compression for the 26 cams and the bike ALWAYS pings unless its below @75 degrees. even with octane additives.

can someone please reccomend a cam choice that will wake up my combo?
im not easy on my electra glide, and frequently drag race with my buddies and bounce off the rev limiter. and as you can see by my dyno #s, im losin

thanks in advance for the help

Larry

Old 12-04-2009, 06:58 PM
skyhook
Tourer

i believe the pinging could be tuned out if that is a daytona twin tech ignition you have...are you sure you have 9.8 compression?...i'd do a compression test before i changed cams...if you really have 9.8 compression i'd try the andrews 37...there's probably more power to be had with a better exhaust as well

Old 12-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

I say a Bob Wood 6, as long as you can see about 195 psi cranking after install.
If you cannot get there without removing the heads, then install a 4* advance gear, or key.
That WILL impress you!!!!!!!
Scott

Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 PM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
I say a Bob Wood 6, as long as you can see about 195 psi cranking after install.
If you cannot get there without removing the heads, then install a 4* advance gear, or key.
That WILL impress you!!!!!!!
Scott
He ain't lyin!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

The 37 or the Wood 6 or maybe a HQ0034, all are good cams but something else seems wrong to me, to many other dynos that show more with the 26 than you have, maybe a leak down test would help, I did one on mine and found that I had 13% on a newly build, the jugs seem bored wrong or screwed up, anyways give that a try and see what you have on % then get back to us.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:11 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

if that is the compression then a 37 or t-man 525 cam will better suite your needs.
the 6 will need a tick more comprssion and Scotty we have no idea how the heads were set up. might be a ping monster with the 6 ramps and espeacially if his shop never tuned a 6 before who knows what it will come out like.
i have a question does your shop that did the build know how to tune???????
what type of dyno??
i see you are in md give dave a call from JD,s he is in bethlam pa and does a lot of bike from builds from MD a lot 1-610-297-0321 he is also a dam good tuner.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:46 AM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced

thanks for the quick answers guys
ill start by saying my once trusted shop in gambrills md has fallen off the quality wagon. the pistons and jugs have been replaced twice already. the first time the cylinders were locking up and wouldnt go over 50mph. they blamed everything but their work. they installed new brakes. then a new 6 speed trans saying the bearing in the trans was locking up.
i kept telling them they should be looking at the parts they installed as the bike was fine before they started and i only wanted to have more power, not in need of a rebuild. the bike only had 9k on it. sooooooooo..
they installed new pistons and jugs putting the bike back together and now it runs fine its just down on power.
theres no one in their shop who knows how to tune. i dont know much about harley tuning but ive actually got it to run a bit better with plug changes and playing around with the twin tec box. btw..it is a daytona twin tec 2.
i want to stick with the issue at hand..ie..whats going on in the motor..im sure different exhaust and other small tweeks could squeeze a HP or two here and there but i dont want to get off course. i did get a reccomendation of CLP performance in glen burnie, which is near me. ill have them run the compression tests and leak down and repost the results.
the shop in gambrills isnt too happy with me about complaining about my low powered bike and the free brakes and transmission they gave me so i can only imagine what could go wrong next.

sorry to run on with this story but i figured full disclosure on what im up against here would be best.
its only money right? if anyone wants the job, ill gladly bring you the bike to your shop if your somewhat near me to get this straightened out..

Larry

Old 12-05-2009, 07:48 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The power tube is known for making the carb WAY rich; I'd go back to stock jets with the '88 Sporty 1200 needle. Or get a Mikuni 42.
You're not supposed to bounce off the rev limiter. Stop doing that.
I agree the Andrews 37 would make more power with that compression than the 26, but I wouldn't think the 26 would make it ping. Are the Rineharts pipes an unequal length? That will screw up the performance. Each cylinder needs the same length pipe for the exhaust to pass through.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want a good shop in your area that does great work and knows what theyare soing with a dyno, try Skip's Performance in Winchester Va. I have sent quite a few "problem" builds to them this year and they fix 'em and get the engine tuned properly without breaking the bank.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:58 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced

dalton, thanks for the tip. ive actually heard of skip. what sucks is i JUST moved from winchester 3 months ago lol..i can always go back though. someone mentioned a mukuni, ive had them on all my bikes except the electra glide because i have cruise. someone told me years ago about an adapter piece to use cruise with a mukuni, but i cant for the life of me remember how to get one.
i guess none of the good ideas you guys have given me matter until i get the bike to a new shop and start from scratch. i dont really want to give any theories to the tuner on what i think is right with the bike or whats wrong. im just going to let them ride it, dyno it, sort out the numbers and make the nessesary changes to make my combo work.
sadly im an old school car builder who works off of displacement and compression makes BIG HP. its always worked well on my race cars. for some reason ive never gotten a handle on how the harleys can be finicky on the smallest detail and throw your how combo into a tailspin. sigh...

Quick Reply: need help please with a new cam choice