Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Gear whine after cam replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Gear whine after cam replacement

98 Evo 1340

Due to lifter failure, I replaced my old VThunder EVL-3020 cam with a new one (same part number) because I was pleased with the grind. I re-used the cam gear from the original 3020 so I didn't bother to pay close attention to the clearance between the pinion and cam gear upon re-assembly. I now have fairly substantial gear whine but had none before replacing the cam. I *suspect* this is due to differences between the centerline of the original outer cam bushing and the new one I had installed by a reputable local indie.

My question: Is cam gear whine something I need to worry about, or can I just leave it be without fear of serious repurcussions? The noise isn't bothersome.

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"fairly substantial gear whine" Described like that I would open it up and reshim it. If it didn't make any noise before it shouldn't now.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
tootal
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If it makes noise hot or cold then you might want to change something. If your running both gears the same and now you have noise then it's probably the new bushing. You might want to check the dimensions with the three wire method and order the next smaller crank gear. It's the cheaper of the two to replace. You will need the proper diameter wires and the micrometers to do this. I know of nothing you can shim to change anything. If you had a lifter failure you might want to check both gears for tooth damage too. I rebuilt a friends bike due to lifter failure and had metal all over the cam cavity. Make sure you get the right gear combination or you'll wine or tick.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tootal
If it makes noise hot or cold then you might want to change something. If your running both gears the same and now you have noise then it's probably the new bushing. You might want to check the dimensions with the three wire method and order the next smaller crank gear. It's the cheaper of the two to replace. You will need the proper diameter wires and the micrometers to do this. I know of nothing you can shim to change anything. If you had a lifter failure you might want to check both gears for tooth damage too. I rebuilt a friends bike due to lifter failure and had metal all over the cam cavity. Make sure you get the right gear combination or you'll wine or tick.
Thrust clearance is set properly on camshaft and breather, so I doubt this is the problem. I did a search on the "three wire method" you mentioned, but came up empty-handed. I'd prefer not to have to "go there", but can you tell me more about it or direct me to a URL that describes it?

Also, thanks to advise from Scott (hillsidecyclecom) and Kirby (prodrag132), I very thoroughly inspected both drive gears and the oil pump for lifter fragments. I also thoroughly cleaned the cam chest and the oil passage from the chest to the pump.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:48 AM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Can also measure the gear, new vs old one. New ones probably bigger. You can probably swap the gears, but i would bring it to a good engine shop for that.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BAGGERDSM
Can also measure the gear, new vs old one. New ones probably bigger. You can probably swap the gears, but i would bring it to a good engine shop for that.
I re-used the gear from my exisiting cam, which was in fine condition. Had my local dealership do the swap for me, which they did for free (to my surprise and pleasure)!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 PM
tootal
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Harley uses a two wire method and it is described in the factory manual or at the Andrews link here:

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/CamEV80.pdf

The last page has the method and the color charts. Basically measure the cam gear and use the chart to see the size of it's mating crank gear. Measure your crank gear and you should see it's too large. If Andrews makes one that will work I would buy it rather than a Harley one. Hope that makes sense to you.

Last edited by tootal; 12-01-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tootal
Harley uses a two wire method and it is described in the factory manual or at the Andrews link here:

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/CamEV80.pdf
Thanks for the link. Good info!

Interstingly, the install instructions that came with the Comp Cams shaft I bought said to test the lash by putting the cam (with gear) in place and slide of side-to-side: resistance should be present, but it shouldn't be excessive. Seems like a little too "shadetree" to me.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Took it to a reputable local indie and just said "wanted to have you give a listen to my valve train and tell me what you think." he didn't even notice the whine, and once I pointed it out he said it was fine. Without a lot of experience, it's just hard to know what's too much noise and what's not.

Thanks for your help.