Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Motor Work

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor Work

I'd like to do some cam work on my 2001 Heritage. Its running the little 1450 motor with 26k. Right now all I have done is SE Air cleaner,SE slip ons and PC.

What are you guys paying for JUST your cam work? I'm thinkin the biggest cam i go without having to do spring and head work. I'm not sure exactly which cam that is or which brand ,,, in fact i dont know anything except a guy that has done a few of my buddies.

I was thinkin about calling him he gave me his # but Id like to educate myself on this a little
as far as Type of cam options and costs associated. I'm not really worried that he will rip me off ,,a couple guys have said this guy is fair. I just wanna know myself. Honestly I dont know if I am lookin at $1000.00 or $5000 or what. I havent asked anybody.except you.

Usually when i just open my wallet and let somebody pick out of it I dont end up w/ exactly what i want and I end up paying alot more than I should have. I'm getting alot mor funny about how i spend money after this past year. No more stupid throwing money around.

Also ,, since money is a concern......... maybe I can start buying parts now,, once I assemble all the parts than call this guy? Anybody done that? If so any suggestions? Links w/ kits or seperate parts? Maybe if i go this route I'll just work on springs and heads also... but i wouldnt have a freakin clue w/o this guys help. Or yours. Good way to monitor cost without getting into something i cant quit 1/2 way through you know what I mean?

Any advise,,suggestions,, tips ,, what ever is appreciated in advance.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:39 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,222 Likes on 1,607 Posts

You might consider a displacement upgrade to compliment the cam upgrade. Bore cylinders to fit SE cast flat top pistons for less than $300; this will really make a difference with a bolt in like the Andrews 37. If you have the extra cash, pick up a set of '06 or later heads to clean up, deck them say .020"-.030" and bolt on for about $200-$250. Cams, gaskets, inner cam bearings, lifters, pushrods, replace cam chain tensioner pads and you are all in for about $1200 and change, plus labor. Numbers might be off a tad, but close.

If you have another $400, you should consider upgrading the old chain drive cam tensioners to the new hydraulic tensioner/roller chain setup; also includes a new oil pump that pumps and scavenges better. A worthwhile upgrade.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet!

Let me ask whats the difference in the 06 heads?

So your saying the deckwork on those 06 or later heads would run about 2-250 after I find them?

Also the bore work and pistons $300 in all?

And if I understand this about $1750.00 in most major parts?

I can live w/ that. What should I expect to pay in labor for a qualified indy to put this motor together for me.

Can I still tour w/ the bike?

Sorry man I got alot of questions I've been affraid to ask because I wasnt sure what it was gonna cost.

Last edited by Seascape; 11-30-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:35 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My local shops will charge approx 8-10 hrs to complete top end work, with cam swap.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:15 PM
06roadglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all your looking to do is cams then I would look at a Andrews 26. But if you want a real bump performance without opening the bottom end then maybe a 98" bore to your existing cylinders, port your heads and a cam to fit your riding style then set comp. to match. That can be had well within your alotted $5000 budget. maybe 1/2

Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Seascape
I'd like to do some cam work on my 2001 Heritage. Its running the little 1450 motor with 26k. Right now all I have done is SE Air cleaner,SE slip ons and PC.

What are you guys paying for JUST your cam work? I'm thinkin the biggest cam i go without having to do spring and head work. I'm not sure exactly which cam that is or which brand ,,, in fact i dont know anything except a guy that has done a few of my buddies.

I was thinkin about calling him he gave me his # but Id like to educate myself on this a little
as far as Type of cam options and costs associated. I'm not really worried that he will rip me off ,,a couple guys have said this guy is fair. I just wanna know myself. Honestly I dont know if I am lookin at $1000.00 or $5000 or what. I havent asked anybody.except you.

Usually when i just open my wallet and let somebody pick out of it I dont end up w/ exactly what i want and I end up paying alot more than I should have. I'm getting alot mor funny about how i spend money after this past year. No more stupid throwing money around.

Also ,, since money is a concern......... maybe I can start buying parts now,, once I assemble all the parts than call this guy? Anybody done that? If so any suggestions? Links w/ kits or seperate parts? Maybe if i go this route I'll just work on springs and heads also... but i wouldnt have a freakin clue w/o this guys help. Or yours. Good way to monitor cost without getting into something i cant quit 1/2 way through you know what I mean?

Any advise,,suggestions,, tips ,, what ever is appreciated in advance.
$ for a Wood TW-6G cam set, S&S pushrod kit, and your cylinders bored to 98", rings set, with Wiesco pistons, with all Cometic gaskets, and an oil pressure shim, along with a Barnett clutch spring.(you'll need it!) If you send the cam plate, the gear drive set up is installed.
Stage III Heads will bring this great combination to 110/110 plus with proper exhaust and tuning.
Scott

Last edited by Shovelhead Bob; 12-14-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Price quote for product and services
Old 12-01-2009, 08:38 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
$1713.00 for a Wood TW-6G cam set, S&S pushrod kit, and your cylinders bored to 98", rings set, with our private lablel Wiesco pistons, with all Cometic gaskets, and an oil pressure shim, along with a Barnett clutch spring.(you'll need it!) If you send the cam plate, the gear drive set up is installed at no charge.
Our Stage III Heads will bring this great combination to 110/110 plus with proper exhaust and tuning.
Scott
Damn.....that's not bad at all! Add $700 for a fat cat, and $350(ish) for a tune, and you have a great running scooter for less than 3k.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 AM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
$1713.00 for a Wood TW-6G cam set, S&S pushrod kit, and your cylinders bored to 98", rings set, with our private lablel Wiesco pistons, with all Cometic gaskets, and an oil pressure shim, along with a Barnett clutch spring.(you'll need it!) If you send the cam plate, the gear drive set up is installed at no charge.
Our Stage III Heads will bring this great combination to 110/110 plus with proper exhaust and tuning.
Scott
That sounds like a sweet kit at a great price. Its been said before but that 6 cam, with the proper compression and your heads will be a perfect fit for many many applications. That cam can even grow with more cubic inches.

Speaking of that Scott...The big brown truck just picked up a 47 pound box thats headed to Munnsville Ny tomorrow!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Seascape, in your first post you said "money is a concern". So why then would you be willing to consider motor work that costs almost 20 % of what your bike is worth? $1713 as was just posted. NADA lists your bike for $10,606 as a starting point at a dealer. Try this, bring your bike to a dealer and ask what they will give you. Then spend $1713 on the work. Then take the bike back to the dealer and ask them again how much they'll give you. NOTHING will change. If your really hell bent an doing cams, buy a used set that you have reserched off ebay, and get a friend to help YOU install them.You'll save the most, learn something about your bike and still get some performance for the least amount of $$$$.,,,

Old 12-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Money markets, firearms, coins, stamps, antiques, etc, are money making investments. Motorcycles do not grow in value, but that money spent will make your bike go, BUT GOOD, and if that is important, then that upgrade clearly would be of great worth to the owner, as the smiles-per-mile factor would certainly increase.
Scott

Quick Reply: Motor Work