Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

could i have sabotaged my 95ci build? need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:27 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could i have sabotaged my 95ci build? need help

hi friends..ok heres the skinny..ive read multiple posts on the forum about 211 cams. my bike is 2004 electra glide carbed. the bike runs perfect as far as everyday riding is concerned. it just doesnt make more then 74hp on the dyno. its not wet sumping or anything like that.
heres my question: i asked the shop to be concerned about detonation on my bike and they installed "thicker" head gaskets, which if i recall were .040 thickness.
with the 211 cams, did i kill my power by decreasing compression using the "thicker" head gaskets? other then not so great dyno numbers, the bike starts and rides perfect, and the carb is tuned good with a good air/fuel ratio..any thoughts would be helpful..thanks in advance

95ci flat top pistons
zippers 1.9 heads
211 cams
cv carb with power tube
twin tec ignition
74/86 dynoed

Last edited by brokeboystreetglide; 12-04-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: incorrect info
Old 11-28-2009, 09:37 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

why dont you do this give dave a call at jd,s and sincee you are in md he is in PA . see what he thinks. he will be at the shop tomorrow and pick his brain.
in order to get a proper compression we will need toi know thje ccp the engine is at.
some times a cam works good with other peoples heads and some times it does not .
heres his number1-610-297-0321 sometimes a good dyno tune is all you need from some one who carees about how a customer feels about their bike.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:37 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the combustion chamber volume? How far down in the cylinder are the pistons. You need this information to calculate the static compression ratio. The 211's work better with higher than stock compression.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:43 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

thats why i stated he needs a ccp test to determin some starting point. also you stated the dealer gave you a good afr line . well thats not a tune thats setting the afr did they play with timing and try diffrent jets. was it a wot afr line or is there some diffrent throttle setting afr runs.
typical hd dyno guys have no time to proper trim bikes its get them in and out as fast as posible. granted there are a few that are very good but they are few and far between.
and why did they say change a head gasket they should of suggeteed a diffrent cam if compression was too high to bleed it off quicker something like a T-Man 525 or woods 6
more options then just changing a head gasket that will yeild better results.
you need to get the bike to some one ewho knows what they are doing.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:32 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced
Default did i sabotage my own build? need advice

hi friends..im wondering if anyone can throw some advice on my lack of power. at first i thought i had a sumping issue but thats fine. the bike runs and drives fine it just turns not so great numbers on the dyno.
heres the skinny..
95ci flat top pistons
zippers 1.9 heads
211 cams
cv carb(jetted w power tube)
twin tec ignition
arlen ness big sucker

here is where i "think" is my issue. these 211 cams i read dont do much, maybe even lose some power with stock compression. i asked my installer to use head gaskets that would not cause detonation problems and i believe he used .040 gaskets. just generally, would it be worth changing the head gaskets to a .020 gasket to raise the compression and make these 211 cams work? right now the bike dynos 74/86..
thanks in advance for anyones help
Larry

Old 11-29-2009, 05:18 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy cow, just looked up the specs on the 211 cam, and that thing has 248/256 on a 101 centerline, whats hurting your build is compression. Whats happening is the bike is bleeding off cylinder pressure with such a long duration, to correct the problem, id have your heads decked with a smaller gasket also or add a smaller camshaft. what kinda bike is this in? if its in a streetglide like your name says, i bet that thing is really soft down low? with as much duration as your running, your not gonna run into detonation. hope that helps...chad.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:04 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Need more details on the build..........

Deck height?

Chamber volume?

Head Gasket used?

CCP?

Steve

Old 11-29-2009, 08:17 AM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the squish in the cylinders measured at.
Personally I like .035 to .040. . Having tight squish will allow you to have higher compression without detonating problems.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 AM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Squish includes the measurement at TDC of piston to deck height, and the gasket thickness.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:37 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

What exhaust is being used?

Quick Reply: could i have sabotaged my 95ci build? need help