Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Woods TW6-6 cams in touring bike - 4* advance gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:51 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Woods TW6-6 cams in touring bike - 4* advance gear?

I have done a bit of searching on cams for my '09 FLHX and the TW6-6 seems to be a good choice for a bolt in cam once the intake, exhaust and fuel are taken care of.

My question is....... do I need the 2* advance gear or 4* advance gear to get the best from this cam???

I ride mainly SOLO and I ride through all ranges of rpm and am looking for good performance without losing too much low end TQ.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

Last edited by thewholehog; 11-18-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

The 6-6, 4* advance gear combo is a great choice, and will actually enhance the bottom end of the curve.
Scott

Old 11-18-2009, 07:32 AM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
The 6-6, 4* advance gear combo is a great choice, and will actually enhance the bottom end of the curve.
Scott
So the 4* adv is not just for 2-up touring? You recommend it for lightweight solo riders as well?

Old 11-18-2009, 07:51 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The advance gears are used when you are not increasing the CR of the motor to what the cams like. The Woods 6 likes 10:1 - 10.2:1 CR run straight up. If you are not going to increase the CR, then you use an advance gear to make up for this. It will move the torque curve to the left which will put it more in the normal RPM range making it more usable power.

Steve

Old 11-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

What Steve said, in the nutshell, BUT if the heads are planning on getting pulled, the mechanical compression ratio would be addressed via a piston/cylinder head re-surfacing, to bring the ccp up to the level to properly support that cam, and at that point, the advance gear/key would not be needed.
Scott

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 11-18-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

My advice is give Hillsidecycle a call! Sounds as if they can get the best from your motor for you.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
The advance gears are used when you are not increasing the CR of the motor to what the cams like. The Woods 6 likes 10:1 - 10.2:1 CR run straight up. If you are not going to increase the CR, then you use an advance gear to make up for this. It will move the torque curve to the left which will put it more in the normal RPM range making it more usable power.

Steve
Thanks!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by hillsidecycle.com
what steve said, in the nutshell, but if the heads are planning on getting pulled, the mechanical compression ratio would be addressed via a piston/cylinder head re-surfacing, to bring the ccp up to the level to properly support that cam, and at that point, the advance gear/key would not be needed.
Scott
thank you! Do I neeed adjustable pushrods? or can I use the stockers?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Adjustables would be easier- you wouldn't have to pull your tank or rocker box covers. Just cut the stock ones out, and pop in the adjustables.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:40 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholehog
thank you! Do I neeed adjustable pushrods? or can I use the stockers?
Either will work...............it depends on if you are taking the tank off and the rocker boxes, or not.

If you are just going to swap cams and leave the top end alone, cut the stockers and use the adjustable.
If you are going to take the tank off and remove the rocker boxes and rocker arms, then you can use the stockers.

Don't forget to replace your inner cam bearings with the Torrington B168's, and if you have 20000+ miles it might be a good time to do new lifters.

Steve

Quick Reply: Woods TW6-6 cams in touring bike - 4* advance gear?