Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Woods TW6-6 cams in touring bike - 4* advance gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:56 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
Either will work...............it depends on if you are taking the tank off and the rocker boxes, or not.

If you are just going to swap cams and leave the top end alone, cut the stockers and use the adjustable.
If you are going to take the tank off and remove the rocker boxes and rocker arms, then you can use the stockers.

Don't forget to replace your inner cam bearings with the Torrington B168's, and if you have 20000+ miles it might be a good time to do new lifters.

Steve
Thanks.

If I take the tank and rocker boxes off do I need a gasket set?

If I go with adjustable pushrods which ones should I go with??

Old 11-18-2009, 08:40 PM
niterider985
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the TW6-6 in my 07 NT strait up and no more compresson.My bike was geared way to tall not fun to ride always shifting. Dropped 6 teeth in the primary took the power down lower rpm, cams come on at 2000 and pulls hard past 4500. Bike is fun to ride and crazy TQ. Me Like.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholehog
Thanks.

You will need gaskets for the rocker boxes and covers. Also for the cam cover and the lifter block covers.

I used the SE EZ install adjustables, and have had no problems at all with them.

Steve

Old 11-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

You'll love the power delivery of that combo.
Being Bob Woods largest account worldwide, we have installed that combination quite often, and the response is always the same. Happy!!
Scott

Old 11-19-2009, 02:46 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,224 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Thanks.

The rocker boxes don't have to come off; just the covers. You will have to loosen the rocker arm support plate to pull the puhsrods though. The newer gaskets can be reused; have done it several times.

The SE Quick Install Tapered PRs (PN 18404-08) have had problems with cracking adjustor nuts; I have had two fail. Be advised that not all "adjustable" pushrods are EZ install, i.e., they won't adjust to a length that will allow quick installation. Some require the removal of the lifter bore covers, slip the cover over the pushrod, install lifter bore covers and then adjust pushrods. Still less trouble than removing tank and rocker box covers but definitely not EZ install.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by djl
The rocker boxes don't have to come off; just the covers. You will have to loosen the rocker arm support plate to pull the puhsrods though. The newer gaskets can be reused; have done it several times.

The SE Quick Install Tapered PRs (PN 18404-08) have had problems with cracking adjustor nuts; I have had two fail. Be advised that not all "adjustable" pushrods are EZ install, i.e., they won't adjust to a length that will allow quick installation. Some require the removal of the lifter bore covers, slip the cover over the pushrod, install lifter bore covers and then adjust pushrods. Still less trouble than removing tank and rocker box covers but definitely not EZ install.
Ok thanks for the advice. Are the Andrews EZ install pushrods actually "EZ install"? and would you recommend them? and also will the stock pushrod covers work with these pushrods? or will I have to buy aftermarkey pushrod covers?

Thanks again.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
You'll love the power delivery of that combo.
Being Bob Woods largest account worldwide, we have installed that combination quite often, and the response is always the same. Happy!!
Scott
OK thanks Scott. Aside from delivering great HP/TQ improvement (I have seen the dyno charts!!) does this combo still result in a easy to ride well mannered bike when used with stock compression??

Last edited by thewholehog; 11-20-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok thanks for the advice. Are the Andrews EZ install pushrods actually "EZ install"? and would you recommend them? and also will the stock pushrod covers work with these pushrods? or will I have to buy aftermarkey pushrod covers?

Thanks again.
I'm not sure if the Andrews are the true EZ install or not, but I think it says on the website.

Regarding the tubes, you might be able to use the stock ones, but it would be a real PITA to get the 3 wrenches you need to tighten the adjuster in there with the stock length. The SE kit comes with the shorter tubes, and I think Andrews gives the part number for just the tubes if you decide to go with their rods.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:33 AM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by matrix5
I'm not sure if the Andrews are the true EZ install or not, but I think it says on the website.

Regarding the tubes, you might be able to use the stock ones, but it would be a real PITA to get the 3 wrenches you need to tighten the adjuster in there with the stock length. The SE kit comes with the shorter tubes, and I think Andrews gives the part number for just the tubes if you decide to go with their rods.
OK, Thanks. I know S&S does a complete kit as well.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:40 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

OK thanks Scott. Aside from delivering great HP/TQ improvement (I have seen the dyno charts!!) does this combo still result in a easy to ride well mannered bike when used with stock compression??

Yes. The manners of the bike are very stock-like, but with the fun-factor is waaaay up.
Scott

Quick Reply: Woods TW6-6 cams in touring bike - 4* advance gear?