Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

woods 8 cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:50 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts
Default woods 8 cam

just got back in town and thought ide run the cam thru my motor program with a 95",106" & 116" motor on my computer,with anything over 10.25-1 is saying"margenal street,hard starting & detonation",i put in 9.8-1 and it says "optimum street use".oh well,i geuss craig walters dosnt understand cam specs either
kirby

Old 10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Upon speaking with Bob Wood,(NHRA Record Holder in Fuel Funny Car & C/Gas Supercharged, www.woodcarbs.com) for the second time during this business week, this subject came up, and I will quote, "Optimum for that cam is 10.8cr, but you knew that, Scott", why are you asking?"
I told him, and he laughed, and said, "You can only lead 'em to the water, but you can't make 'em drink." Guess that about sums it up.
BTW, that Walters program, which we too have had for about 15 years, (along with Cam Analyzer, Quartermaster, Quatermaster Jr, and Acellerator Pro, to name some) is NOT gospel, and has many gliches in it, as we have found. Don't believe me? Run a Lieneweber cam through it, or change the rod length on a given set-up.
Scott

Old 10-13-2009, 03:59 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts
Default cams

ya,and im sure you guys can leap tall buildings in a single bound,turn water into wine,bla,bla,bla,i just looked at the cam specs and the computer backed my interpitations,and now the computer is wrong too,i guess his cams dont have to go by basic laws of how cams work.your statement about "leading them to water"reminds me of another one about the shepard leading the lambs to slaughter,im done on the subject
kirby
vee twin racing

Old 10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that cam will run at 9.8 not in my bike but im sure you can sell it.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
ya,and im sure you guys can leap tall buildings in a single bound,turn water into wine,bla,bla,bla,i just looked at the cam specs and the computer backed my interpitations,and now the computer is wrong too,i guess his cams dont have to go by basic laws of how cams work.your statement about "leading them to water"reminds me of another one about the shepard leading the lambs to slaughter,im done on the subject
kirby
vee twin racing
Kirby,
There is no need to get upset over this, or take it personally, as that is not my intent to get under your skin, and wish I could think the same of you, as well.
Those cams really and truely kick some serious a$$, when set up correctly. The Walters program really and truely, does have gliches, as many folks know.
Back in the early-mid-nineties, we locked onto those grinds, as when we were searching for a combo that would rip, in 80" Evo's, when our first go with that 8 cam (Bob said 90/90) went 89 hp and 91 ft/lbs. (That bike is still in service, and has only had lifter replacement as routine maintanence.)
Pump gas, fast bike, happy guy. Can't ask for more than that.
You ought to give your folks the opportunity to try some of these on for size, sometime.
Who knows, they may like these as much as we do.
Scott

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 10-13-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:18 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Optimum power and optimum "street" use are different subjects.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

That is correct, and at this point, perhaps a quick phone call ,to Bob Wood himself, could easily clairify any misconceptions, myths, or non-truths in regards to this discussion.
I'm sure he'd be happy to speak to any/all. www.woodcarbs.com
Scott

Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Kirby, what cams do you use and at what compression do you set them at on a typical mail order build? Just curious.....

FWIW i have followed Scott's and Bob Wood's recomendations and have never been let down...

Old 10-13-2009, 07:02 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My point was the word "optimum", running the Woods 8 with less than intended compression would not be optimum and running 10.8:1 Compression would not be optimum for the street.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:17 PM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running my Woods cam at "optimum" compression: Per Bob and Scott. Seems pretty optimum for street use to me.

How bout you Bagger?? No way you can be running that 9b at 11.4 on the street is there? Hows that working out for you?

Quick Reply: woods 8 cam