Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

woods 8 cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by paul s
My point was the word "optimum", running the Woods 8 with less than intended compression would not be optimum and running 10.8:1 Compression would not be optimum for the street.
It has to be run on the street, as it is not a drag strip cam whatsoever.
But why would one go hunting, with an empty gun??
Scott

Old 10-13-2009, 07:55 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride with people who have had problems with fuel quality and the FL. heat running high compression, it's just not for me, but to each his own. My HD is my cruiser, when I want speed my gun is loaded with magnums.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 PM
skyhook
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had several high comp h-ds, from the 190 and 200 ccp dynas, 210 rk, and 220 xl...the power is great, but have to admit there are compromises...i live in the deep south...i don't even go riding when it's 95*F and 100% humidity...so i understand where prodrag is coming from y being conservative with comp...would also like to hear what some of his builds consist of...

Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 AM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Road King is at 200ccp. 93 octane is available in most parts around here. However, riding this summer in 95+ degree weather with heat indices reaching 103-106. Miserable riding weather, but no pinging, no detonation. Bike starts right up (with CR's of course)Even ran a tank of 91 just for fun. Same results. I originally considered running an oil cooler but after this past summer I dont feel I need one.
And I agree, less than 91 octane in high heat. Add a half azz tune on top of that. Your gonna have problems.

Last edited by ryanl; 10-14-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:58 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

The tuning of the bike is key, as Ryanl has made mention.
When the engine combo is set correctly by a builder, the tuners job is to "custom map" the set-up, not drop in a canned map, or just flatten off an AFR line. Too much of that out there, and probably why folks are lead to believe, that the correct compression for a given cam grind, equates to too much. Not the case.
Scott

Old 10-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
just got back in town and thought ide run the cam thru my motor program with a 95",106" & 116" motor on my computer,with anything over 10.25-1 is saying"margenal street,hard starting & detonation",i put in 9.8-1 and it says "optimum street use".oh well,i geuss craig walters dosnt understand cam specs either
kirby
Kirby, good to see your on this board. I have used a lot of Craigs cams with great success with the heads I use, his software had some holes in it though. I now use the R&R program because they don't use generic polynomial curves in their software as Craig did, they have an Andrews cam doctor pluged into their hard drive and actually spin the cam so the data is correct. As you know a lot of these cam discussions are ludicrous without knowing the flow characteristics of the heads. All the best.
Randy

Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 AM
choppers4life1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy---Just to flush out the issue further...can you run that cam throught the program you use and tell us where that program sets compression. Would be interested in seeing the differences between the two programs.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run a 7H woods cam. Probably a little short really. 107 Axtell. Milled heads. Flatops. 205CCP. Jagg cooler. In SE Texas. Might run a 9 this winter.
Gotta remember Calculated CR is not the same as running CR. With a woods 8 cam, or even a 9, my running CR will be lower.
Point is
With the right tune, no problem. I can put it is 6 gear at 1600 RPM and go all aver. Pulls nice and east no pinging. Will run to 5500 RPM (all I can want) hard, nice and clean. Good gas milage, plugs look good. I have never seen oil hotter that 215 degrees even this last summer.
Our biggest hills here are overpasses though.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:09 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

we use alot of S&S cams,.570 in the lower compresion motors,.625`s in the bigger,higher compresion motors.have no problem trying the woods cams.the riders around here would FREAK,if they had a little detionation,like its the end of the friggin world,so we build touring motors on the conervitive side,we build across the whole spectrum,from very mild builds to all out,injected nitro motors(in fact john shumaker & I are working on a 120" overkill motor for the AHDRA pro dragster class)i guess my problem was,trying to give my opinion,and have guys jump down my ****ing throat like im some idiot right out of MMI.
kirby
vee twin racing

Old 10-14-2009, 04:41 PM
JCK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob Woods isn't always right. He told me a 408-44 with +4 gear would be great for my bike. STOCK... Scott told me it wouldnt. Scott was right it wont run worth **** below 2000.. Selling this peice of **** an putting in a Andrews. 450 dollars shot to hell plus a useless gear. I learned my lesson...

Quick Reply: woods 8 cam