Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Ethenol Blues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:43 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 245 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Ethenol Blues

I'm starting to worry about ethenol impact on my engine. I have a 2005 Deluxe, no serious engine mods, just SE Stage 1 w/ SE 16 ga. shotgun exhaust and K&N Filter. Is there anything I can do in the way of additives, etc. to offset potentially bad affects? Thanks.

Ted

Old 06-29-2006, 11:30 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Default RE: Ethenol Blues

My bad [:@]...I just found several good previous threads addressing ethanol. However, if anyone else has a suggestion, I'd be happy to hear it.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never used it. I haven't even seen it up here in the northeast. Don't you have regular super unleaded around there? I wouldn't be using it just because it's cheaper.... it's not worth the few pennies per tank you'll save.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 10% ethanol shouldn't be a problem for you. This is pretty much all we can get here in Illinois, and our machines are still running just fine. The added ethanol will make your mixture about 5-6% leaner than it would be with pure gasoline. This is because gasoline requires about a 14-1 air/fuel ratio and ethanol about 5-1. In other words, ethanol requires more fuel for the same amount of air, but you are not changing the amount of fuel to air.

For some reason which escapes me, Harley does not use an oxygen sensor on the EFI system. If they did, the EFI would automatically adjust for the different fuel, just like newer automobiles do. Actually, the reason does not escape me, it is because with an air/fuel ratio adjuster based on an oxygen sensor, there would be far, far fewer SERTs sold. You could just put on any exhaust you wanted to and the EFI would compensate.

Write Harley a letter and ask them to knock off this crap.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the gas stations in the US add ethanol to their gas during the summer months. This is mandated by the EPA to reduce vehicle emissions. Most fuels are E-10, or 10% ethanol to gas mix. Other stations add more (ARCO). I avoid fueling at stations that are above E-10. I believe the Harley owners manual addresses this and allows for E-10 mixture, though I don't have it handy as of this post. The one fuel you must avoid is methanol, which will burn much hotter and can cause engine damage. Most modern day car engines can run up to E-85. I really don't understand why HD is so far behind the times considering more and more ethanol is being added to our gasoline. All that is required for most vehicles to run E-85 is improved valves/valve seats and a closed loop EFI system capable of adjusting the air/fuel mixture to burn E-85.
Since the availability of dino fuel is rapidly deminishing, we may all some day have to convert our MC's to run on ethanol, or not run at all. If the MoCo don't get with it, all I can hope is that the aftermarket will come up with a head kit and EFI remap so I can burn clean renewable fuel - ethanol.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:59 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior

Thanks Tommy and Geoseismic for great input. Tommy (or anyone), I think I read your post before about using a TFI/DFO to offset any further leaning of the mix. Is it true that running too lean for an extended period of time can also damage engine? Is DFO a valid solution if so? Thanks in advance for further input.

Ted