Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006 | 06:14 PM
hotrod351
|
Road Warrior
Default oil leak

i had a bdl open 3 inch belt drive put on almost 2 years ago and ended up with a oil leak. took bike back and they replaced the sprocket shaft seal on engine. was good for a while then started again, not bad but a pain. it will leave a small drip or two after a ride, doesnt seem to drip when riding but from sitting. then i replaced the seal, they had put it in backwards, like ive heard it was suppose to go for a dry clutch or bdl, so i also put it in backwards, same problem so i put a new one in the wet clutch way, still a small drip. i took the pulley and aalt. cover and cleaned it and let it sit for a couple of hours and i can see where it is starting to get a little wet around the seal where it rides on the spacer. its a new seal and theres no run out of the shaft so im thinking, guessing, it must be the ball check valve in the oil pump letting to much oil get in the crankcase. ive heard of tapping the ball with a punch or putting another check ball on top of the spring to increase the tension. anyone had luck with just replacing the check ball and spring and having that work. any other suggestions welcomed. i feel like im beating my head against a wall. i know sooner or later it will be fixed but would sure like to figure why its doing this.