Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Ceramic coating stock headers for hot pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:40 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Ceramic coating stock headers for hot pipes

I have a 2009 Ultra and it is running hot!!! <g> I'm trying to make it more acceptable to my passenger who's complaining about her right foot being baked on the floorboard. I have everything supposed to make the bike run cooler and it doesn't really make a big difference. I'm talking SE AC. PCV, oil cooler, fork baffle, heat deflectors, etc.......

Has anyone coated his stock headers, using ceramic coating like Jet-Hot or a similar product? Vendors advertise a big reduction in heat but I'd like to know from actual users if it really works.

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Would need a coating on the inside of the pipe to help. That would keep the heat inside better. Would increase volicity also and move the heat out the end better.
Chrome outside already is the best for heat radiation. Black is the worst.
Maybe at the worst place you could use wrap. That would help the hot spot.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:38 PM
cmiamt2009
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just shipped out my exhaust set to get them ceramic coated by Performance Coatings. I chose them because they will ceramic coat your exhaust pipes inside and out and give you a 3 year warranty. I choose their newest coating called "Chromex" which they say looks like polished aluminum. I will post an update once I get them back and installed on my hog.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:13 AM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I have a 2009 Ultra and it is running hot!!! <g> I'm trying to make it more acceptable to my passenger who's complaining about her right foot being baked on the floorboard. I have everything supposed to make the bike run cooler and it doesn't really make a big difference. I'm talking SE AC. PCV, oil cooler, fork baffle, heat deflectors, etc.......

Has anyone coated his stock headers, using ceramic coating like Jet-Hot or a similar product? Vendors advertise a big reduction in heat but I'd like to know from actual users if it really works.

Thanks.
Did you ever consider that your bike could be running a tad lean.Why dont you have your tuner dump some more fuel in it.You do have a PCV on it,it does have that capability.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:38 AM
missile
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had mine ceramic coated just the heat shields but don't notice any change in heat but I did get the stage one down load and it seems to have cooled it some. I will add the power commander next and I feel it will richen it up enough to cool down were it should be.