Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

sputters

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 12:59 PM
nb472
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default sputters

Hey guys need a little help, I recently bought a 2002 rkc fuel injected, screaming eagle pipes and KN air filter,with 7000 miles on it.
Starts and runs great at highway speeds but wants to sputter at in town speeds when the throttle is held steady. Dealer checked the download and said it was right. I feel it runs lean.Spark plugs are very white. Would a power commander help? What's my next step? Thanks NB472

Old 06-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Woodyheritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sputters

typical problem, yes it is running lean and yes a power commander and a dyno will do her wonders.
Woody

Old 06-20-2006, 03:44 PM
nb472
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Woody! My suspecions are right. Problem is, I don't know of anyone with a dyno in central NE., altho we have the biggest dealership in NE. their not much help. Guess I better hold off on some accesseries and start with the power com.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Woodyheritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look to some of your local bike events, a lot of times they bring in portable dynos BUT beware, some of the people who run the portables are not always the best at tuning and want to sell you all kinds of addons or repairs. Don't get me wrong there are some good reputable portable tuners but I just wanted to for warn you. If you go to the powercommander.com site they do have lists of dynos around the state.
Good luck,
Ralph

Old 06-23-2006, 01:55 AM
zzmellio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same exact problem with my 03 RK Classic. When I got it, it had the the stock air kit with Vance and Hine Basic slip-ons. Went and did the SE air kit and Stage 1 down load. It helped alittle, and I mean alittle. I then ordered a Powercommander PCIII USB. The map they suggested helped termendously but it still was not quite right. I have not had a chance to get it dyno'd yet but I have combined maps to eliminate the problem and my gas milage is stll great. 43mpg. My plugs now have a nice light tan color to them and the heat off the engine seems to be not as sever. The reason I have not had it dyno'd yet is, I want to get the right exhaust before I have a custom map built for my setup. On a whim, I just install Big City Thunder's, Thunder Monsters into my stock head pipes. They do make a difference. The exhaust note is deeper and I do notice a little more TQ in the mid range. I am going to try them for awhile before I go out on a whim and spend hard earned cash on a set of pipes. Let me know what happens with your ride.