Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

carb tunning help!please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 AM
chopmafia777
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation carb tunning help!please!!!

I am new to this site and thought i would solicite some help from people i am sure know more than i do concerning bikes. I have a shovelhead with an ss super E carb on it. Its easy enough to tamper with, however i am having trouble finding a source of information concerning symptoms of a to rich/lean mixture. What does that popping in the carb or exhaust mean? Why is it sluggish when trying to accelerate. I am a young guy, younger than most riding on an old harley and have taught myself what i know thus far, and because of that there are alot of ins and outs i am not aware of, like carb symptoms. Here are my exact symptoms

When accelerating uphill the motor bogs down and dies
When accelerating on flat ground its sluggish, and i can hardly get it go over 40 mph!
When idleing, it will be fine, but temporarily start to idle lower rmp, not significant, but noticeable, then correct itself.

The jets should be fine as i did not have any trouble at all before i tampered with it, even when opening the throttle on the open road. it has to be the initial idle settings.

Also note that when i got the bike it worked just fine, concerning the carb. The problem was that i could not turn the enricher all the way off without the motor dying. I reset to ss baseline recommendations, and sure enough was able to run it without the enricher being on, like it should be! But now i am having the stated symptoms. Any insight?