Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

She's a cuttin' out...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:59 PM
rogerb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: She's a cuttin' out...

I have the same problem. Bike is a 03 Softail Standard with EFI, V&H straight shots with Stage 1 ECM mod. Started shortly after I bought the bike but only did a very few times. Lately it has gotten much worse. I have a tach so I have been watching very closely to determine under what conditions the problem seems to appear. Seems to happen hot or cold. Begins at 2,000 rpm and under, primarily in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear with relatively constant throttle position. Typically what you would have if you were riding through town at 30 to 40 mph, in some light traffic where the speed is constant but you do have to adjust the throttle ever so slightly to maintain traffic spacing. Seems like one cylinder cuts out for one combustion cycle. Just kind of goes "phhtt' and then picks right up again. It may do it several times in a row or just once and then go for 2 or 3 minutes and do it again. Lately it has been doing it when I pull away from a stop. This weekend it died on me on two different occasions while doing this. VERY dangerous. No problem under medium to heavy accelaration or at high cruising speeds. Frankly the bike is darn near unrideable at this point.

I feel fairly sure that it is related to the ECM or perhaps an injector that malfunctions at certain times. Took it to the local Harley shop that does all of my work. Gave them the same account. Have not heard anything from them yet. From what I have read on the forum so far it doesn't look like I'm going to have a whole lot of satisfaction.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

RogerB

Old 05-10-2005, 08:34 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: rogerb

I have the same problem. Bike is a 03 Softail Standard with EFI, V&H straight shots with Stage 1 ECM mod. Started shortly after I bought the bike but only did a very few times. Lately it has gotten much worse. I have a tach so I have been watching very closely to determine under what conditions the problem seems to appear. Seems to happen hot or cold. Begins at 2,000 rpm and under, primarily in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear with relatively constant throttle position. Typically what you would have if you were riding through town at 30 to 40 mph, in some light traffic where the speed is constant but you do have to adjust the throttle ever so slightly to maintain traffic spacing. Seems like one cylinder cuts out for one combustion cycle. Just kind of goes "phhtt' and then picks right up again. It may do it several times in a row or just once and then go for 2 or 3 minutes and do it again. Lately it has been doing it when I pull away from a stop. This weekend it died on me on two different occasions while doing this. VERY dangerous. No problem under medium to heavy accelaration or at high cruising speeds. Frankly the bike is darn near unrideable at this point.

I feel fairly sure that it is related to the ECM or perhaps an injector that malfunctions at certain times. Took it to the local Harley shop that does all of my work. Gave them the same account. Have not heard anything from them yet. From what I have read on the forum so far it doesn't look like I'm going to have a whole lot of satisfaction.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

RogerB
Your's sounds like your map may be a bit lean at lower RPMs. At the medium to high acceleration and higher RPMs you're in a different area of the ECM mapping.

When you said it starts at 2k RPM and under, you're not meaning you are staying at those RPMs, are you? That is too low while under load for any significant time.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:32 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Skip I think you are hitting the nail on the head, I believe that's what's happening here for the most part, too low of rpm's for the gear at hand.

Old 05-11-2005, 03:11 PM
SoftailMatt05
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The above descriptions are EXACTLY what my bike is doing!!!

I did a once over on EVERY electrical connection on the bike and then did about a 100 mile ride - it did the exact same thing!

I thought about it being too lean, since I did a Stage 1 with dual exhaust and the inside of the pipes are very clean. It seems electrical to me, not fuel related. A mismatched map, would seem like an electrical problem.

Is everyone's bike fuel injected and has had a re-map that is having this problem?

My dealer told me to ride it until the problem resolves itself or gets worse. He is awfully brave with my ***! Think I will replace the plugs and wires, just for peace of mind.

Please follow-up with us as to what the dealers do, sounds like this is a problem for several!!

Old 05-11-2005, 04:12 PM
JDean
Advanced

I don't know how common this problem is, but I have heard of occasional problems with the stock plug wires. I was going to suggest a lean condition, but if you have eliminated this, I would try a set of plug wires off a buddy's bike or a new set.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:42 PM
skywagon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you spell LUG? Rap the s$%# out of it and it will run nice and last a long time.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:47 PM
rogerb
2nd Gear

To POCOCJ,

Thanks much for the response. Bike is still in the shop and I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Regarding your question about running the bike at 2,000 rpm for long periods of time. I would submit that 2,000 rpm is certainly an acceptable engine speed for extended use in 3rd and 4th gear. In those conditions I don't believe the engine is all that heavily loaded. I don't consider that to be "lugging" the engine. Typically that is how I run the bike when in urban traffic situations. For comparison the engine is only turning 2600 in 5th at 60 mph. 3 grand will get you about 72. Selecting a lower gear and running more rpm needlessly increases fuel consumption, engine wear, noise and vibration, in my opinion.

The ability to operate the engine more effeciently over a wider rpm range has supposedly been the selling point for the electronic fuel injection. Leaning out at high speed and "loading up" at low speed were supposed to be things of the past with EFI. The direct benefits are alleged to be better drivability, increased fuel mileage, reduced emissions and better cold weather starting. Given all of that and assuming the EFI is working as designed the bike should pull down to 2,000 in 3, 4 or 5, and run there without a problem.

I'll let you know what I find out from the shop.

Thanks again.

RogerB

Old 05-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Roger, in all respect I do not believe that 2000 rpm is acceptable for riding. Look at all of the graphs on every engine comparison, and it is always the same, peak performance for a touring, or cruising V- Twin is between 2500 and 4,000 rpm. Try reving her a little higher. I am sure she will preform better.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:54 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Roger, gotta go with Joe on this. Running at a steady 2k isn't good for the motor. I'd go for 2500, but not less than that, escept as a transient condition during acceleration or deceleration. 2k will probably damage the bottom end eventually, just as setting the idle too low to get the "potato-potato" sound will. I've seen a lot of "pounded" big ends on push rods and flywheels from too low RPM operation. While today's Big Twin oil pumps are better than those of the Shovel era and earlier, they will still be marginal at too low an rpm under load.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:35 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Roger,

I agree with Joe and Skip as well, 2600 rpm at 75 mph in 5th gear is much different than 2000 rpm in 5th gear at 25 mph. The engine isn't under a load and the shake and rough jerk you get is telling you the motor is being lugged, it's crying out down shift me and get me back to a under a load rpm to gear related pull. You are hurting the engine in all respects. I guess the best way to put it in retrospect is we really would'nt need 1st thru 3rd gear if 4th and 5th would pull all the rpm ranges from 0 to the rev limit at any speed.

Quick Reply: She's a cuttin' out...