Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Carb Gurus, I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:52 AM
Pauly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Gurus, I need some help

I've been trying to chase down a very irritating problem over tha past couple of days. When I slowly roll on the throttle, my bike splutters and near dies if I don't give the throttle a good twist. The bike starts and idles fine. When idling if I give the throttle a good twist, the bike revs up easy with a couple of occasional pops through the carb. That can been dialed out. What is irritating the hell out of me is the stumbling in transition. I suspected an intake leak , but wouldn't that affect every aspect of carb operation? Any ideas?

Thanks

45 pilot jet, 165 main.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:00 AM
websterdan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Carb Gurus, I need some help

When I jetted my wifes Sporty it had bigger jets than that. Try 47-50 and 180-190.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:29 PM
lacedwheels
Advanced

If its a roll-on problem then you are lean during the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle positions. You probably have a surgeing problem as well. This could be caused by a leaky intake but usually your idle would suffer more then mid-range.
Try raising your needle position one - two notches (move the clip toward the tip) and see if that helps.

Edit...I know these carbs just not as they apply to HDs. Anyway I was checking out the CV carb thread, a very good informational thread by the way, and realized that stocke HD cv carbs dont have adjustable jet needles. I know, freakin DUH!!! You may need to purchase the Dynajet kit which comes with an adjustable needle otherwise a washer spacer under the head of the needle works but you can only go .030" or so.
I just thaught of one other possible cause of your problem, it could be a tear in the diaphragm at the top of the carb. The diaphragm is attached to the slide and jet needle so you will have to remove it anyway.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Pauly
Advanced

I just thaught of one other possible cause of your problem, it could be a tear in the diaphragm at the top of the carb. The diaphragm is attached to the slide and jet needle so you will have to remove it anyway.
That was my thought as well. I've had the needle shimmed for a few years now. Up until a couple of days ago everything was fine, bike ran great. It's likely one of those problems that is very simple but not easily seen.

The carb is off the bike now so the I'll check the intake seals and the diaphragm more closely. It could be I picked up a tank of sh!tty gas as well. I'll get it eventually.

Thanks for the response.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 PM
tripl8
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put an S&S E on it and enjoy it.