Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

What does engine knock sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 PM
usmcdevildog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does engine knock sound like?

Is it loud?
Does it sound metallic?
Is it unmistakable?

Reason I ask is it sounds like I have a tiny woodpecker living inside the engine. I can barely hear the "knocking."
I don't know if this is normal for an 01 FLHTCI or not.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2009, 04:50 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you only hear it at idle when it's warmed up? Or all the time?
Interestingly enough, I just noticed something similar last week on my '01 FLHRI. I could only hear it at idle though, after a ride. I normally ride with earplugs in with an ipod, so it may have been doing it for awhile but I didn't notice it. I changed the oil this weekend, and used Mobile 1 v-twin. I also idled the bike up slightly, as it was idling way too low. Made it MUCH better. It's barely noticable now, and only every now and then. I think mine sounded kinda like a wrist pin, piston slap, or maybe even a rod. But all of those things should cause it to do it all the time. I've got almost 43k on it now. I plan to run the hell out of mine. If it gets worse, I'll get concerned. Until then, I'm not gonna worry about it. I'm thinking about doing a big-bore and cams on it in a few weeks, so I'll have a look around inside then. You may want to check your comp nut, if you haven't already. It'll make a knocking noise if it's loose.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

the metalic sound might be pinging.
there are a lot of noises to listen for piston slap , crank freee play , if something does not sound right try changing the oil and running it rthre a paint stocking or borrow some ones ols stocking and pour the oil thru that. if ya find metal it might be piston slap.
not good.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:22 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Detonation, sounds like breaking glass, IMO.
Scott

Old 08-25-2009, 12:27 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

mine sounded like someone was taping the cyl.cooling fin. or like a bb was inhaled.

i used to have to duck down low to hear it when rolling on the throttle, other wise

i couldent hear it with all the wind noise and such.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
gibby122
Road Captain

when I got my RK last year in July it had 700 miles on it, never been serviced, 3 year old oil in it, it sounded like it had loose change in both top ends, thousand mile service took care of that. just over a year & 8500 miles later, 3 oil changes and the 'change' sound hasnt come back.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:39 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No mistaking knock! Ping sounds like a 87 Merc Marque under heavy throttle, sounds just like a diesel engine. Knock sounds like the old engine run on and at the very end the engine literally knocks 2 or three times...

Very heavy sounding trust me if it happens you'll know it.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Stylz
4th Gear

Originally Posted by tgaetto
No mistaking knock! Ping sounds like a 87 Merc Marque under heavy throttle, sounds just like a diesel engine. Knock sounds like the old engine run on and at the very end the engine literally knocks 2 or three times...

Very heavy sounding trust me if it happens you'll know it.
I think you just nailed exactly the sound I got today.

I was pretty well just idling for about a 1/2 hour, putting around a neighbourhood recording "For Rent" signs for a friend. So, for 1/2 hour, never got above 10 or 20km/h, and was often stationary, writing notes.

Bike was (obviously) rather warm.

Anyway, on take off, in 1st, I was beseiged with this 'knocking' kind of noise while just getting going.

I attributed this to (I hope) just what a hot idling Harley sounds like, but should I have concern?

Thanks!

]{evin

Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been dealing with this issue since March of 2007. If your tune is good and this was do to abnormal riding habits then I would say your OK since gas has a lot to do with the carictoistics...

I have hi compression and will be lowering it this winter due to what I am dealing with!

Last edited by tgaetto; 09-01-2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 AM
leadsled70
Novice

I know this is an old thread but I will try anyhow. Stylz, did you ever figure out your peoblem with the engine noise? My 03 XLH1200 does the same thing. Sometimes when I go to take off I get that piston slap/rod knock noise until I get moving and it goes away. I then get a little pinging sound sometimes while cruising. I am new to the sporty as I had an 04 FXST but sold it to replace my piece o crap Ford F-150.

Quick Reply: What does engine knock sound like?