Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

BCT baffle in Bub 7 2:1

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:25 PM
roadWorrier
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCT baffle in Bub 7 2:1

Hey, here's a bit of feedback for anyone else out there who may want a bit more volume out of their Bub 7.

I've had a Bub 7 2-into-1 on my 2009 FLHR since April. Cool. I immediately noticed more pull, just as I had heard it would do. It was louder than stock pipes, but not by much. It has a nice rumble at cruise speeds and it barks nicely under load. Some folks have said they think it sounds sweet.

Which I think is pretty cool, but it is just not loud enough for me. I ride alone mostly, and I can't hear it well. Apparently neither can some drivers that keep weaseling into my lane.

So I asked the folks at Big City Thunder. They hooked me up with their "quiet" version of the Monster baffle. The idea is that I could take off the quiet cone from one end of the baffle if I wanted to make as loud as their original baffle.

To make a longer story short, I ended up taking the stock baffle out of the Bub 7. It was about 25.25" long and mostly 2.5" diameter. But the BCT baffle was for a 2 1/8" ID pipe. So I went to a muffler shop. They got a 2 1/4" OD pipe, flanged out the ends to match the stock baffle, and set a hold about 6" in from the exit.

Turns out the pipe must have been just a tad smaller than 2 1/8" ID, but I jammed the baffle in there as well as I could. Of course I removed hte quiet cone since I knew this thing was not ever going to come out again. So I tuned again using the TTS Mastertune. and just as expected, I found the Volumetric Efficiency is a little better at the lower rpm, and is some worse at the midrange.

But from the seat, it feels stronger pulling off a dead stop, and more lively all around. I can't say I ran it in the higher rpms with the stock baffles, so I can't compare that.

And for the sound? well, now it has this grumble in cruise, but now it roars under load. When it is cold, it has a nasal thing going there, and a bit lacking in low end. But once the pipes warm up, it is not so nasal, and it has a nice low-end punch. Not as nice as that from Rinehart, but a step in the right direction. It also has this organic-like sound like a beast when you step on it through the gears. Hard to describe. Kinda more like a whuuuuu-oooooo-aaaaa-rgggggg! I wasn't sure about it at first, but now I'm kinda looking for it. Definitley uncommon compared to all the other low-end rumblers out there.

Anyhow, if you're still waiting to get a rino, like me, or you just want to teach your Bub to stop being so dang timid, this might be something for you to consider.