Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

carb rejet HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 02:35 AM
dynamac
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default carb rejet HELP

Decided to start the stage one add ons myself. I decided to start with rejetting the carb, get the hard part out of the way first. I have never worked on carbs before, figured it can't be to bad with the manual. Everything is disconnected but the one little cheap @#$ screw rounded out. So right now it is hanging by the bracket for the throttle cables by one screw. I have tried everything I can think of including a screw extractor that won't get started due to the lack of room to beat it. I have read some outstanding ideas in thiss forum so I am trying to pick everyones brains. Also, once it comes out which jets am I replacing? the main jet and needle jet or the slow jet and main jet? Should've researched this one a little more. Any and all ideas are needed.

Old 04-30-2005, 10:24 AM
800MXZ
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: carb rejet HELP

As far as getting the screw out, a Dremel with a flex shaft and a cut off wheel will make a nice strait slot in the screw to grab with a flat screw driver, or just cut thru the head and that should leave you enough thread to grab with pliers ahfter the carb is off.

As far as the jetting goes, your going to need to change everything at once. If you jet up now with a stock air filter and stock pipes your going to flood the thing out.

Some people like em, some people don't, but I used a Yost Power Tube on my last carbed bike, and like the results. They can help set up your bike to your area, pipes, altitude, etc.... I even think you can call them, tell them them application, and they will send you the tube and jets together.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:23 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Done the same thing on one that I was doing. I was able to get a pair of small, narrow vise grips on the head of the screw and get it out.

As far as jet size goes, I would go up 1 size on the slow jet (Needle), and 1 size on the main jet. I would also cut off 2 coils on the slide return spring, and install a 1988 1200 Sportster needle. The 1988 1200 Sportster did not have an accelarator pump, so that needle has a different taper, and you will get better response.

You also need to remove the cover on the idle screw and adjust you idle. To remove the plug, carefully drill the little plug with a small drill, just enough to get a wood screw started. Screw a wood screw in just enough to get a hold, and pull on the screw. The plug will pop right out. Adjust the idle screw out about 2 turns from full in for starters, then fine adjust your idle to where you want it.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use a dremel as mentioned (if you have one), or if not just take your hacksaw and cut a slot in the screw.

After that - go here:
http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...r-jetting.html

this guy explains it very well. Print it out - take it to the shop or shed and get abck to work.

Its not hard, I did it myself.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 05-01-2005, 04:46 PM
dynamac
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

THANK YOU for the help. Went and got a flexable extension fopr the dremel and it was off in a minute. That website that no1likhim pointed me toward was a great help. If you can't follow those instructions don't turn wrenches. The bike sounds awesome now, like a Harley should. If I ever get a camera I will post some pics.