Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Dakota Kid 48mm Delphi Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:33 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dakota Kid 48mm Delphi Throttle Body

Anyone have experience with these?

While at the dyno shop, I got to talking to the next guy in line. Turns out he's a local builder and he went into a speil on the Dakota Kid Throttle Bodies and that he installed them on EVERY 95" build he does.

I called and talked to "the Kid" and what he explained sounds good. He indicated a 10% increase in power @ 40% throttle and +/- above & below. He compared it to the change in throttle response between a Mikuni HSR series carb and a stock CV carb. I can relate to that as I did that mod on my previous RG. It was dramatic (I say DRAMATIC for you~ Bounty ).

Anyway.... I am just soliciting feedback on this unit. good / bad / indifferent.... all welcome.

For reference: http://www.dakotakidcarbs.com/fuelinjection.htm

THanks in advance!

Phil

Old 05-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Dakota Kid 48mm Delphi Throttle Body

It is 2 mm bigger than a stock Induction (06), and 2 mm smaller than the SE unit......

What injectors is he using?

Are the Electronics from the OE Unit transferrable to the new unit?

At our shop we us HPI (Horsepower Inc. , Erie PA), and have nothing but great things to say about them....

Been using them for the HiPo apps for 4 years.... Phenomonal performance and tuneability......

Old 05-31-2006, 12:07 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Bob!

THis one's mine. It's an 05 FLTRI. I was under the impression that the stock unit is a 44mm.... Yes / no? All the original electronic work on these units. They are actually modified stock intakes & throttle bodies.

I will check out the HPI folks too. From your experience, is there any risk of loosing any low-end power (torque) by increasing the throttle body size. I understand, it has to be properly tuned, but with that in mind, I don;t want to sacrafice any of my precious low end grunt to gain something on the top end that will virtually never be used.

Thanks in advance ~ AGAIN!

Phil

Old 05-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a 40mm TB Unit..... 2 piece...

You always run a risk of losing something, because now you have to compensate by adding fuel(meaning bigger injectors)......

HPI uses Stock or their own larger injectors.... Plus they have 3 different sizes of TB Units, with 3 different sized injectors....

Really gives you the ability to customize your set-up, so you don't lose what you already have......

Remember, all components have to work in concert....

You don't want a Holley 4bbl on a straight 4 Yugo, it wont run anywhere near right, just like you don't just change out A/C and Muffs on a EFI Bike and expect it to run ok... You have to do a WHOLE PERF PACKAGE.....