Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Supertrapp

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:38 AM
wulffe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supertrapp

Just installed a Supertrapp 2 into 1 system from a salvage bike.

It seems a little quiet to me and I think it may have a low disc count. I wanted to pull the discs that are in there to see whats what but I'm not sure how and the website instructions are unclear.

There are two bolts on the outside of the pipe and then several on the end cap. I removed the bolts from the outside of the pipe and the discs did not come out easily. Is this the way to remove them? I didn't want to start messing around and break things until I understood I was at least on the right track.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There should be 6 screws/bolts around the perimeter of the end cap. You pull those and the discs will come out. Supertraps can be very quiet with a closed end cap. There is also open end caps available that will increase the volume. Open end cap = less discs needed. Closed = more discs needed. An open end cap will equal about 6 - 8 discs.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 AM
wulffe
Tourer

Thanks, man. I'll have to order up some discs or a different endplate. I had heard about fewer discs = quieter, higher torque, and lower horsepower so I'll have to get some discs and play around. I do like the difference I feel even with the way it's setup now. I was afraid this was going to be one of those mods where the 'improvements' are too subtle to be felt in my pants seat.

Any trouble likely reinstalling the 'disc pack' once I pull them out? Looks like the bolts tprobably thread into a plate in the back but lining up a bolt into a blind hole while managing 20 discs sure sounds like it could be a PITA but maybe not.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

We work with 3-disc increments on the dyno here, continuing to add until you JUST start to witness the low end torque start to drop. At that point, we back up 1-2 as needed.
This is done while running the closed end cap.
Scott

Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had SuperTrapps on my '85 900 Ninja, being a youngster and looking to cut corners on cost I added small washers instead of more discs, it worked pretty good.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Me thinks, that the shape of the patented disc, and the correct spacing between, is very instrumental, in the tuning results of the Supertrapp system.
Scott

Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Scott

Do you have the best luck (torque curve) with the closed end cap?

Thanks

Old 08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No biggy. Just thread the screws through the disc's first. Then "apply" some Permatex copper anti seize to the threads of the screws sticking out of the disc's and then fit the hole unit as one piece. Everything should line right up. Maybe a little wiggling will be needed but not to bad of an endeavor. Remember, don't over torque..... 15 to 25 inch/lbs for 4" disc's and 40 to 50 inch/lbs for 5" disc's.

Originally Posted by wulffe
Thanks, man. I'll have to order up some discs or a different endplate. I had heard about fewer discs = quieter, higher torque, and lower horsepower so I'll have to get some discs and play around. I do like the difference I feel even with the way it's setup now. I was afraid this was going to be one of those mods where the 'improvements' are too subtle to be felt in my pants seat.

Any trouble likely reinstalling the 'disc pack' once I pull them out? Looks like the bolts tprobably thread into a plate in the back but lining up a bolt into a blind hole while managing 20 discs sure sounds like it could be a PITA but maybe not.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 PM
2000FiveOh
Tourer

As already said, just pop the 6 screws out of the end cap and the cap and discs come right out.

As far as open or closed end caps are concerned, I feel it performs the best with a closed cap. I have an open end and played around with it, but always ended back at 20 discs and a closed cap. The open cap wasn't much louder, but I definitely felt the low end vanish with the open end. I tried open with 8, 10, 12, 14 and didn't like the way any combos felt.

Overall. it's a good pipe performance wise, but I hate the sound.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:06 AM
wulffe
Tourer

Thanks, all.

This was setup with 8 discs and a closed end cap so Ill be ordering up the 12 pack of discs.

Good advice on the torque and antisieze. I wish someone had told the guy who set this up. Two of the bolts were tight. One I got out. The other snapped at the top on the first turn. Looks like aluminum bolts. Non-ferrous anyway

Is the use of 'copper' anti-sieze critical? My chem shelf is getting awfully full. I use regular Permatex anti-sieze (http://msds.ihs.com/partinfo.aspx?partid=40947).

Also on replacing the bolt that broke do you think using SS in place of the aluminum would be OK?. I hate to buy the 'pack' of bolts Supertrapp offers to use just one.

Quick Reply: Supertrapp