Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Anyone build 58mmTBI + TW408-6 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts
Default Anyone build 58mmTBI + TW408-6 engine?

I'm planning on closing the deal on a 2010 SE Ultra tomorrow (Red/Slate). I'm looking to do engine work (110") almost from delivery. Not too radical but still planning for a significant jump in power.

Planning to have the head work done by Hillside with the head build raising compression, springs, guides, 5 angle valve job etc. Adding SE 58mm throttle by wire TBI, adjustable pushrods, Pro RT and SE roller rockers. Staying with the stock pistons. Not opening the bottom. Big question is cams.

I'm leaning towards Woods TW408-6 as the dynos I've seen with 110's show it coming on hard and early (below 2400) and hangs in there all the way to 5500. This cam is high lift at .650.

The other cam I'm considering is Woods TW8-6. It comes on later (around 2900) but runs strong all the way 6K. Its a shorter lift cam at .590.

I'm having the Tour Pak made detachable. More like a convertible Street Glide than an Ultra to me. I like lots of power in the curves and an occasional high speed run when the weather, traffic, bike, road and driver conditions are perfect.

Thoughts??? What kind of performance do others think this build will deliver. Any thoughts on one cam vs the other that I'm thinking about using? The 408 will need more compression than the 8-6 but I don't think alot more.

I know very little about the clutch in the 2010 SE Ultra. Will it need to be beefed up for this build or is it already an SE clutch capable of the power this engine will deliver? I also do not know yet what intake is on the '10 SE Ultra. I suspect the same as 2009. Did the 09 SE Ultra and 09 SE RG both have hi-flow A/Cs (even though they looked different)?

I know the 2010CVO touring header pipe has changed from 2009, but does anyone know if the stock 96" 2:1:2 headers are still free of a cat? If so, I was hoping to switch over to a "catless" 2:1:2 96" header plus either a Cycle Shack Performance baffle or a 2.25 Fullsac.

Thanks for any feedback on this engine build before the credit cards start flying. Am I missing anything in the overall build?

Old 08-01-2009, 03:02 AM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I'm planning on closing the deal on a 2010 SE Ultra tomorrow (Red/Slate). I'm looking to do engine work (110") almost from delivery. Not too radical but still planning for a significant jump in power.

Planning to have the head work done by Hillside with the head build raising compression, springs, guides, 5 angle valve job etc. Adding SE 58mm throttle by wire TBI, adjustable pushrods, Pro RT and SE roller rockers. Staying with the stock pistons. Not opening the bottom. Big question is cams.

I'm leaning towards Woods TW408-6 as the dynos I've seen with 110's show it coming on hard and early (below 2400) and hangs in there all the way to 5500. This cam is high lift at .650.

The other cam I'm considering is Woods TW8-6. It comes on later (around 2900) but runs strong all the way 6K. Its a shorter lift cam at .590.

I'm having the Tour Pak made detachable. More like a convertible Street Glide than an Ultra to me. I like lots of power in the curves and an occasional high speed run when the weather, traffic, bike, road and driver conditions are perfect.

Thoughts??? What kind of performance do others think this build will deliver. Any thoughts on one cam vs the other that I'm thinking about using? The 408 will need more compression than the 8-6 but I don't think alot more.

I know very little about the clutch in the 2010 SE Ultra. Will it need to be beefed up for this build or is it already an SE clutch capable of the power this engine will deliver? I also do not know yet what intake is on the '10 SE Ultra. I suspect the same as 2009. Did the 09 SE Ultra and 09 SE RG both have hi-flow A/Cs (even though they looked different)?

I know the 2010CVO touring header pipe has changed from 2009, but does anyone know if the stock 96" 2:1:2 headers are still free of a cat? If so, I was hoping to switch over to a "catless" 2:1:2 96" header plus either a Cycle Shack Performance baffle or a 2.25 Fullsac.

Thanks for any feedback on this engine build before the credit cards start flying. Am I missing anything in the overall build?

In my opinion, you should take the guesswork out. Ask the man thats setting compression and working over your heads. Scott will not steer you wrong for sure...

Old 08-01-2009, 05:34 AM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why such a massive throttle body? Are you taking that thing to the drag strip everyday or are you planning on using it on the street? I've seen bikes with stock diameter TB's pulling longer power bands than the wide bodies. The big TB's might peek a bit higher but the power will stay above 100+/100+ much longer in the smaller diameters because of the air velocity through the TB. Save your money and your gas mileage. What I'm really saying is that some of these less expensive builds will smoke the big ones on the street. Talk to some more builders. You will be surprised. Hope that helps.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by producer
Why such a massive throttle body? Are you taking that thing to the drag strip everyday or are you planning on using it on the street? I've seen bikes with stock diameter TB's pulling longer power bands than the wide bodies. The big TB's might peek a bit higher but the power will stay above 100+/100+ much longer in the smaller diameters because of the air velocity through the TB. Save your money and your gas mileage. What I'm really saying is that some of these less expensive builds will smoke the big ones on the street. Talk to some more builders. You will be surprised. Hope that helps.

I appreciate the feedback. After talking to a number of engine builders, it seems that one of the primary holdbacks on the 110's is limiting air/fuel on builds that include really good head work.

Most of the really great engine builds (at least as described to me by the engine shops at the links below), are convinced that the larger TB is an important part of the mix.

Here's 2 dyno graphs from 110 builds from the same shop in my area and as you can see they have generated outstanding performance from a similar engine build to what I'm proposing. The builder assured me it would not be possible without a larger TB than the stock 50mm on the CVO 110.

http://www.woodcarbs.com/images/tc110efitw408-6.jpg
http://www.woodcarbs.com/images/tc110efitw408-1.jpg

These dyno's are from Bob Wood's Cams site and I spoke with him directly. He agreed that the larger TB is what makes this kind of power possible. I'm not suggesting that my build will generate these numbers as I'm not planning for a 2:1 exhaust however the numbers are still impressive and show how the larger TB is important to the mix.

Here's a another excellent 110 build (lighter Dyna) that once again has no lower engine work and primarily incorporates excellent head work with a larger TB and stock pistons, roller rockers, pro-RT and an experienced tuner. What's not to like about this build as it also incorporates the larger TB as well.

http://www.joescyclerepair.com/08SE110.jpg

Talking to these engine builders as well as Bob woods is where I'm getting the information that the larger TB would be an important part to building a 110 engine with the kind of useable power I'm interested in. Is there any information available that would suggest the larger TB with only headwork, cams and roller rockers would not be helpful? Can you point me to an engine build with the stock TB and only head work/cams that performs better than these examples?

I really don't care about my fuel economy and the $ won't be an issue as the CVO 50mm TB will probably sell on Ebay for about the same price I'm paying for the 58mm TB. Thoughts....?

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-02-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by ryanl
In my opinion, you should take the guesswork out. Ask the man thats setting compression and working over your heads. Scott will not steer you wrong for sure...
He's definitely one of the guys I'm currently talking to that's recommending the larger TB.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:30 AM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
He's definitely one of the guys I'm currently talking to that's recommending the larger TB.
Then trust him to recomend a cam that will match your riding style, and produce the #'s you are after as well.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by ryanl
Then trust him to recomend a cam that will match your riding style, and produce the #'s you are after as well.
Did he do your engine build or heads? He's very knowledgeable however I've never had any work done by him and I'm just getting to know him. Its always kinda hard to trust someone's advice that's giving it over the phone (and selling his services) and that you've never met.

It's good to get references such as those I'm reading from others on this forum. Thx again.

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-02-2009 at 08:31 AM.