Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Carb vs EFI

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb vs EFI

It baffles me why H-D still produces bikes with carbs. Are there that many people out there who actually prefer a carb over EFI? If you do prefer a carb, please explain to my why. EFI has been around a long time and has really proven itself - carbs, on the other hand, are practically obselete, except on power tools - and, EFI will be there very soon.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:12 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Carb vs EFI

Hi Ted.

FYI HD is doing away with carbs alltogther towards the end of the 2006 year model. In 2007 you will only be able to get EFI.

Now that that has been said, let me speak in defense of carbs.

Lets talk tried and true and proven.
One word. Carb.

Check the mileage stats. A carb will always get better mileage than EFI. Even HD specifies that on their website.

I can adjust my carb idle mixture and get it right before you can even get your seat off to get to your power commander or whatever electronics you have under there.

If your electronics fail (thats a given), my carb will still be working. I will stop and help you if I see you broke down on the side of the road, because I will feel your pain.

There are probably 100 other reasons I wil run a carb as long as I can. I wont take the time to list them. I will let other carb owners sound off.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 04-28-2005, 12:15 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Why I like carburetors:

Carbs are easily adjustable without computers or other high dollar tools. When a carb starts acting up, it can be rebuilt time after time for about 25- 50 bucks.

An EFI system is a necessarily complex efficient system. There are way more things to mess up, and you ain't gonna fix 'em along side the road. When EFI goes south, you are out big bucks, even if it is for something as simple as the injector.

Is EFI better? Depends upon what your definition of better is.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to resist progress from time to time.[sm=vader.gif]

Old 04-28-2005, 12:57 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the model T was at one time the rage, and sometimes progress isn't embraced, but who drives a model T everyday. I like carbs and EFI both, my last two bikes have been EFI, with over 40,000 miles with no problems except a loose battery connection that caused intermittent fuel pump operation. It's the wave of the future for bikes and has been for auto's for the last two decades.

I would say most people drive and own a car with EFI and don't think a thing about it, and the motorcycle industry has surmassed it's EFI technology from the auto industry. It's a fact there's little trouble with EFI, it's like computers some people are just afraid of it because they don't understand it. You can have a carb and have trouble, nothings fool proof.

I can live with either one, but I have learned as much as possible about the EFI and it's not that complicated, but it does have more good features than bad and I for one like it.

Old 04-28-2005, 02:02 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I like carbs because they are easy to work on and tune. I don't like carbs because all my friends that have them have way more problems starting and warming up their bikes. My EFI bike starts with no problem and warms up much faster without having to pull out the choke and then forget to push it in while I'm sputtering down the street.

I've had 9 carbs and 2 EFI's. I really like the EFI but I don't want to push it on someone who likes carbs. If that were the case then why doens't Harley just make one color bike or one model bike. Gee, wouldn't life be easier if everyone had a 2000 Orange Screamin Eagle Roadglide (lol).

Terry

Old 04-28-2005, 02:04 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thats easy, FUEL INJECTION SUCKS!

Old 04-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike - why do you say that? I bet your car or truck has fuel injection. Although I don't claim to be a mechanic, correct me if I am wrong regarding the following. In simple terms, a carb depends on air velocity, manifold pressure and jet size in order to deliver the proper fuel/air ratio. EFI, on the other and, compensates for air temperature, air pressure, crank position, throttle plate position, oil temperature, and pre-ignition. Sure looks like the EFI should do a better job at what it's supposed to do. Agreed, if there's a problem, it may be a bit more difficult to narrow down, but, aren't EFI problems rare these days? Please note - I'm on a learning curve here having been a carb and EFI guy all my life (short at that, only 59 years), just trying to get the opinions of you more experienced guys - having fun doing it too!

Old 04-28-2005, 11:30 AM
800MXZ
6th Gear

I had a 97 S3-T Buell with ****** heads and cams, mikuni carb and it was a great running bike. But when I had to adjust the carb (in the spring and fall when I lived in North Carolina) it was a 45 minute gas soaked event.

Now I do have EFI and the plus is once I installed the PowerCommander, I ran the cable up thru the seat rail and leave the pigtail in the saddlebag. Takes longer to boot the laptop than it does to change the map AND change the timing (many forget this is capable on the EFI with the PC, and you can actually change the whole timing curve, not just the base timing).

I recently (Monday) put a new exhaust on my bike (Bassani 2:1 from stock headers with White Bros E-series) and the capabiliaty of changing the fuel curve in a couple of minutes allowed me to spend more time riding and tuning, rather than dropping jets and turning screws.

Also, to compare, Carb's is a general term. Some are much easier to tune like the S&S than the stockers or the Mikunis also.

Carbs:
Pros: Cheap to tune, simple desgin, cheaper to repair down the road
Cons: Hard to tune "dead on", more suseptable to weather changes

EFI:
Pros: self adjusting, easy throttle operation, and IMO superior road performance
Cons: Tuning Tools are expensive (just take it with you to your next bike), part replacement is expensive

Old 04-28-2005, 12:39 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

One reason I like carbs is all of the performance enhancements available and the ability to tune it for a specific niche.

EFI is great if you are riding where there is a lot of elevation changes or temperature changes and it is smoother, now if they can get cheap and easy performance mods for EFI and to program in the HD sound at idle I might consider changing...

p.s. all of my vehicles are EFI and my Jeep project actually has an aftermarket version with new programmed power curves at a cheap price...

Quick Reply: Carb vs EFI