Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Carb vs EFI

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 07:15 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts
Default RE: Carb vs EFI

[quote]ORIGINAL: Triple Z

The Keihin CV carb that the MOCO used for soooo many years was a piece of junk anyway. It was cheap and EPA-friendly.
You'd have to buy a Mikuni HSR if you wanted to have a carb that would make your bike perform.

Why are the CVs junk? It's a reliable and well-built carb, and can be easily modified for an engine with minor upgrades. I wouldn't try it on a heavily modified motor, but if you change pipes, change air filter, and even maybe a mild cam, it is an inexpensive way to get some good results, without spending much money.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:12 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ted, i cant work on em thats why at least with a carb i had a little tunning say so!

Old 04-30-2005, 12:06 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm loving this thread.

Both my cages are efi. cant get em any other way now.

As stated, if you want a carb bike, you better buy one now in 2005. You will be limited in 2006 and shut completely out the door for carbs in 2007.

My brother is going to get a bike in a month or so, so us old farts can ride together. He hasnt decided on carb or efi. I told him if he gets efi, i'm disowning him. Not really. But it sounded good when I told him.

Carbs Rule
EFI drools!

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Old 04-30-2005, 01:38 AM
hilltopken
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EFI bikes just don't sound like a real Harley. I waited 35 years to buy my first Harley and chose to buy an 05 Electra Glide Classic with carbs. I don't know anyone that can make an EFI bike sound like a carb model when it is at idle. After spending all of those years trying to make a rice burner sound like a Harley, I wasn't about to drop 20 grand on a Harley that didn't sound like a Harley.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:27 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

speaking of efi!!!
stopped a 3 dealers today they all said MONDAY will be the last day an order can be placed to get a carbed electraglide!

Old 05-01-2005, 02:33 AM
RMXer
Intermediate

Funny, my '03 Road King EFI sounds just like a "real harley".

Old 05-01-2005, 01:36 PM
JeffD
Tourer

It was 45* here yesterday, and I went out for a ride. With the efi it started right up, no hassles with a cold blooded carb. I have a carb on my race car, and would NEVER think of going to efi on that, but on the Harley, I just want to ride it, not mess around with tuning it.

Old 05-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hilltopken

EFI bikes just don't sound like a real Harley. I waited 35 years to buy my first Harley and chose to buy an 05 Electra Glide Classic with carbs. I don't know anyone that can make an EFI bike sound like a carb model when it is at idle. After spending all of those years trying to make a rice burner sound like a Harley, I wasn't about to drop 20 grand on a Harley that didn't sound like a Harley.
I'm a bit confused. How does the carburetor affect the sound?

Old 05-01-2005, 02:29 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Define the "sound " of a real harley, the sound of a knucklehead, panhead, shovelhead, evo, Tc88, If the sound of EFI is different than carb, I sure as hell can't hear it.

Old 05-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My EFI EGC sounds like a Harley. Not quiet as loud as I'd like but it does sound like a Harley. <And I'm having the loudness "fixed" tomorrow!>

Quick Reply: Carb vs EFI