Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Help identifying this engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help identifying this engine noise

I'll be the first to admit I am far from a gearhead. Dunno much about the inner workings of the engine and prefer to keep it that way. Any other way and I would get myself in trouble.

I have this noise that I am hearing that just doesn't sound right. Sounds like it is mostly coming from the front jug. It happens at idle when I blip the throttle hard or during heavy acceleration at lower RPM's after the engine is warm. Like in the 2200-2500 range. And when going up steep grades at lower RPM's It gets more prevalent when the engine is hotter. The best way I can describe the sound is a quick metal on metal clanging. Like if you were to say put a knife blade in the blades of a metal fan. It is a quick sound and only does it during the above described conditions. I know there are some of you that can listen to an engine and pick up what is going on by the sounds it is making.

So is this normal or no???

Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 AM
rugguy51
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like pinging caused by either a bad tune or bad gas (to low of a octane) usually happens when you put the bike under a load. I think that's the first thing to check. Good Luck

Old 07-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rugguy51
Sounds like pinging caused by either a bad tune or bad gas (to low of a octane) usually happens when you put the bike under a load. I think that's the first thing to check. Good Luck

Running either 93 or 94 octane all of the time. Running a pre-mapped PC-V from Fuel Moto.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:11 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the compensator is loose or spring pack is toast in the unit. When taking off from a light especially when cold there could be some knocking, similar to a rod knock as well. If it is the comp, I recommed the newer SE big twin comp since the stock one is really not well designed or durable.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 07-12-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too think it is pinging. You will only hear a quick tink once or twice as the engine knock sensor is picking it up and then pulling timing automatically which ends the ping. Roll-on in the 2000-2250 range is one of the hardest areas to eliminate pinging entirely as it is high load and tradionally has a lot of timing advance. If you know what you are doing, you could try adding just a bit of fuel or better yet would to pull a couple of degrees of timing in that area, or, DOWNSHIFT !

Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

LOL yeah downshifting would work when cruising Dalton. But what about at idle????

Old 07-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The quick "tink" when you blip the throttle is an indication of lean or too much timing. Is the accelerator pump function of the PC activated. This would throw a bit more fuel in when you open the throttle quickly and may eliminate the ping. If it is already activated, then as I said earlier, you need to modify the PC map with either a bit more fuel, or a bit less timing.

I am not a PC guru, but the way to fix a ping is the same no matter what tuning system you are using.

Ok, I will add DOWNSHIFT and DONT BLIP THE THROTTLE...

Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dalton
The quick "tink" when you blip the throttle is an indication of lean or too much timing. Is the accelerator pump function of the PC activated. This would throw a bit more fuel in when you open the throttle quickly and may eliminate the ping. If it is already activated, then as I said earlier, you need to modify the PC map with either a bit more fuel, or a bit less timing.

I am not a PC guru, but the way to fix a ping is the same no matter what tuning system you are using.

Ok, I will add DOWNSHIFT and DONT BLIP THE THROTTLE...
I knew that was coming.

Thanks for the advice Dalton. Gonna give Jamie a call since they set the PC up to see if he has any words of advice.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 PM
wbaker68
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MonsterMile,

Let me know what you find out, have same thing and sounds like same setup from Jamie. Just really noticed it the most this past weekend. Been looking for something on-line and stumbled across your post.

Keep us all posted.....

Thanks..

Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jamie is a great guy he should be able to help ya out....

Quick Reply: Help identifying this engine noise