Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Running hot all of a sudden - 2005 Deuce

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009 | 04:15 PM
francorosso
|
1st Gear
Default Running hot all of a sudden - 2005 Deuce

One month ago I wrecked my 2005 Deuce, laid it down on the right side in a turn. I was going 10, maybe 15 MPH max. It bent the handlebars, scratched the air filter and turn signals, etc. So it sat in the garage for a month while my body healed and I replaced the parts that needed replacing. I did nothing to the engine, and I don't see how the engine could have been damaged except that it landed on the air filter, which was scratched on the cover and the element was partially crushed underneath.
Anyway, I rode it for the first time today, to work and back, about 12 miles each way. I noticed that it was unbelievably hot when I arrived at work, too hot to touch the oil tank or remove the dipstick. Same thing on the way home. I was riding at a good speed, no traffic, and the air temp is about 80, so this shouldn't have happened. Does anyone know what might have happened to cause this? I'm going over to the Harley dealer right now to buy a dipstick temp gauge to confirm my suspicion, but I want to know if anyone has any idea what might have happened. I have minimal mods, just stage one pipes and air filter and a USB Power Commander fuel control. The oil level is fine.

Old 07-09-2009 | 07:13 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master

Well if you smashed the aircleaner, i would be looking for intake leaks first. Sucking in air via leak will cause lean condiditons and make it a bit hotter.

Did the bike seem just a usually or slower and sluggish?

Old 07-09-2009 | 07:49 PM
francorosso
|
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BAGGERDSM
Well if you smashed the aircleaner, i would be looking for intake leaks first. Sucking in air via leak will cause lean condiditons and make it a bit hotter.

Did the bike seem just a usually or slower and sluggish?
No, it runs perfect, or it least seems to.

Old 07-09-2009 | 08:26 PM
francorosso
|
1st Gear

I just went outside and took the air filter off and checked all around the EFI body for cracks or leaks and didn't find anything. This is really strange. Maybe I'm just paranoid but should an oil dipstick be too hot to pull out after riding? Anyone?

Old 07-11-2009 | 11:28 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master

No the dip stick should not be that hot. I had a bike that was a CA version and the charcoal canister created a vacuum leak. So the leak was at the canister vs being at the t/b. Look at all of the lines at the t/b as well. But if the bike is running as it did before the accident that is odd. Please post up what you do find.

Old 07-13-2009 | 05:45 AM
francorosso
|
1st Gear

Update: I'm not sure what the deal is, but I went out and bought a HD dipstick with temperature gauge on it, then rode to work on Friday. The temp never got above 200!! So I touched the oil reservoir and it still felt pretty hot, but for now I'm just going to write the whole incident off as paranoia on my part. I'll ride it to work every day this week and post another update on the weekend. Thanks for the responses.