Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

I know another 103 build questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:21 AM
Billdoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know another 103 build questions

Hello , im still fairly new here and new to harleys . ive been reading tons of people's builds trying to get an idea where i need to be ... first off i have a 02 Softail EFI tc88 basically stock with a Power Comander and V&H slash cut shorty pipes with 54K miles .. i dont do alot of traffic riding mostly in the mountains and highways and im constatly in the upper RPM's .. i have bounced the rev limiter quite a few times so i kinda want a mid to upper torque range with streetability .. i do ride in toys for tots during the winters n stuff so thats bout the only time i will be lugging it down ..other wise im a mid to upper rpm kinda guy... i do want to keep dependability a factor here but i am a hot rod kinda guy (raced flat bottom v-drives boats)so i like power (torque) and lots of it..
heres what im doing im takin my 88 inch and putting a SE103 stroker flywheel kit in my cases and big bore cyl's .. looking to run about 10.0-10.5 to 1 CR or what i can get away with on todays 91 octane gas .. buddy that builds custom bikes said he can port my heads to flow really well for the build im doing and some other fancy stuff like making the valves bigger ..what i would like to know is some cam profiles i may like .. would like a torque curve that pulls hard from about 3K-6K+ .. i later plan to add a bigger throttle body if needed. i dont mind using high lift cam profiles and changing springs long as they have a decent streetability to them .. this is why im askin for some help . i ride fast and hard and nostly alone , with a passenger i do slow down to normal cruising .. mine is not a bagger either, pic below is .. let me know some combo's you guys are running ,pistons ,cams , with stock ported heads and stroked crank (103) . thanks in advance , Bill

Attached Thumbnails I know another 103 build questions-picture.jpg  

Last edited by Billdoe; 06-25-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Here is a dedicated engine combo that'll get you going WITHOUT splitting the cases.
Bore your cylinders to 98" using Wiesco pistons.
Bob Wood TW-6G gear driven cams.
GOOD set of heads.
Bore your t/body from 41-46.5mm.
Good exhaust.
Tune.
IF you are dead-set on the 4 3/8" arm, then you can bore to 107" with the correct Wiesco's, and use the Wood 8 cams.
Straightforward, easy assemblys, that deliver large, broad power.
Scott

Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 AM
fripple
Road Warrior

Agreed. Call Scott. He can steer you in the right direction.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Billdoe
Cruiser

found the cams you mentions . the 8 woods is a gear drive right?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Yes sir.
Scott

Old 06-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default options

Originally Posted by Billdoe
Hello , im still fairly new here and new to harleys . ive been reading tons of people's builds trying to get an idea where i need to be ... first off i have a 02 Softail EFI tc88 basically stock with a Power Comander and V&H slash cut shorty pipes with 54K miles .. i dont do alot of traffic riding mostly in the mountains and highways and im constatly in the upper RPM's .. i have bounced the rev limiter quite a few times so i kinda want a mid to upper torque range with streetability .. i do ride in toys for tots during the winters n stuff so thats bout the only time i will be lugging it down ..other wise im a mid to upper rpm kinda guy... i do want to keep dependability a factor here but i am a hot rod kinda guy (raced flat bottom v-drives boats)so i like power (torque) and lots of it..
heres what im doing im takin my 88 inch and putting a SE103 stroker flywheel kit in my cases and big bore cyl's .. looking to run about 10.0-10.5 to 1 CR or what i can get away with on todays 91 octane gas .. buddy that builds custom bikes said he can port my heads to flow really well for the build im doing and some other fancy stuff like making the valves bigger ..what i would like to know is some cam profiles i may like .. would like a torque curve that pulls hard from about 3K-6K+ .. i later plan to add a bigger throttle body if needed. i dont mind using high lift cam profiles and changing springs long as they have a decent streetability to them .. this is why im askin for some help . i ride fast and hard and nostly alone , with a passenger i do slow down to normal cruising .. mine is not a bagger either, pic below is .. let me know some combo's you guys are running ,pistons ,cams , with stock ported heads and stroked crank (103) . thanks in advance , Bill
Many good options. I have done several of these strokers with the Andrews 54 cam if chain or the RR525 if gear at 10- 10.2 to 1 with great success, they have torque and get the heat out of the engine. The larger throttle body will give you more power as will the 1.9" intake valve. I like to use the HPI 51mm. Either of these cams has good intake closings for torque and horse and soft ramps. I like the CP pistons with the nitride rings, they are a full skirt piston.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:26 PM
choppers4life1
Tourer

dependable. big torque. fast revving. cool running..........call scott at HILLSIDE in NY. He had done a ton of these for forum members and every kit rips!! Good luck and welcome.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:07 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

Yes call Scott at hillside. Scotty stands behind all of his work and i know for a fact he has a few of the competors heads up at his shop as we speak fixing those as they did not stand up too well.
a 98in kit from hillside and a tw8 cam will really rock when you call Scott ask him about the heads he just repaired and tell him you want him to do a set just like those. but to stay together of course......

Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Billdoe
Cruiser

i talked to my builder today and we were thinking i possibly had a bad flywheel but its not coming from my engine its in the clutch so im not doing a stroker kit im gonna just go big bore now . i see lots of 95 kits out there and a few 98 kits then i came across a 100 kit thats 4.00 stroke 4.00 bore .. now i was curious are the cases bored big enough stock to accept a 4.00 bore piston? cause if so im thinking of going the 100inch pistons and have jugs bored to match or ?? im piecing the kit together so trying to find pistons and my engine builder has a guy to bore the jugs to what i decide to go with.. just need to know my options on the 98/100 pistons in a stock case if they will work or not . thanks again for the input so far guys ..
i wish this was as easy as building a big block chevy lol .. i had a rockin lil boat i build a 700hp 470 incher full roller motor . im just glad these harley's are cheaper to build i had about 17K into motor when all done and finished lol

Attached Thumbnails I know another 103 build questions-picture-176.jpg  
Old 06-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

The 98" Wiesco sets do not require case boring, but going to a 4" hole, the engine builder has to bore them.
Low-mid teens hp/torque(and more) with the proper cam/heads/t/body/pipe, is easily within reach.
Scott

Quick Reply: I know another 103 build questions