Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Exhaust and How you like it

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 03:56 AM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Exhaust and How you like it

Everybody like their pipes...... I had V&H Bigshots. They looked great. If you want sound and performance, go with the V&H Pro Pipes or the D&D Fatcats. Whatever suits your taste. They out perform and sound better then all I have seen and heard. I can tell you from experience the performance of the Pro Pipes is top of the world. Go to a rally and look and hear for yourself. But IMHO, do not waste your time without 2 into 1. I learned from experience. Better sound and light years better performance. Too expensive not to learn from others experience. I wish I had listened prior to spending big $$. Good mluck on whatever you decide.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:46 AM
HOGWYLDPR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

06 Deluxe w/ V&H Big Shots Long and quiet baffles. They deliver a low deep rumble and has some of the advantages of a 2 into 1 pipe.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:29 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a set of Hooker Troublemakers while assembling my new Train. After looking them over, I sent them back before installing them. I liked what Hooker had to say, but I opted for the V&H Big Radius.
I just liked the larger arc of the V&H, and I trust their quality more.
The Troublemakers won't make you any more power and Torque than the V&H pipes. A member of another site had a problem with the chrome finish on his Hookers, and traded them off for the V&H BR. Both were dynoed and the HP & TQ was 2 hp in favor of the Hooker. But, it was on a different day, and different atmospheric pressure can make a lot of difference, so 2 hp + or - is nothing. The sound was identical according to him.
Seperates just plain suck in the HP TQ department. If you want a real pipe to make power, you have to go with a collector. No matter what or who claims a good seperate system, a 2 into 1 will make more power every time.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:21 PM
soz
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As far as sound goes with the Hooker Troublemakers and V&H Big Radius, The sound level was pretty close but the the Hookers had a deeper rumble, the Big Radius had a more tin sound. Both sounded good but to me, the Hookers sounded better. Quality on both was about equal with a slight edge to the Hookers. The chrome on the Hookers looked much better than the V&H. Hooker is well know for producing Quality Headers and have been around a lot longer than V&H. As for performance, Well the Hookers are made by Hooker, nuff said !

As for power, 2 in 1's will give you a slight edge but i preffer the looks of a 2 in 2, if i really cared about power, i would be riding a crotch rocket. As it is, i prefer looks and comfort with a smidgen of power.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:03 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

Not to be arguementitave, but.....
After bouncing around from many different ownership corporations, Hooker is now owned by the Holly corporation, a publically held and traded company..
Vance & Hines is owned by Terry Vance and Byron Hines, owners and developers of the NHRA multi time World Champion Vance & Hines Screamin Eagle Harley Pro Stocker. A bike and team totally owned by themselves, and credited by completely developing all of the components that made that bike what it is today, World Champion.

I think my money is on the V&H pedigree...

Having said that, here's my point..
I would split the pipe choices in half.
Performance, which would contain all performance 2 into 1 pipes such as the V&H Pro Pipe, the D&D Fat Cat, and the Rinehart 2 into 1.

The other side would contain the 2 into 2 pipes.
Although not in the same performance class, I agree with you totally, I would rather sacrifice a few ponies for the look and sound.
I would bet that any V&H 2 into 2, along with the simular Troublemakers, the Bassani Pro Streets and other baffled pipes such as Samson would all wash out within a couple of horses from one another. All look great, all sound great and all have issues in the performance dept.
Personally, I'm also likin' the Porker Hatchets too.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:17 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's not exaggerate too much on the superiority of 2 into 1 pipes. Yes, they will usually make more horsepower, but so will drag pipes. A good 2 into 2 system like the Cycle Shack will make better low and midrange power and be very close to a 2 into 1 at the top end too. And having more power across the entire rpm range is going to feel better on the street. The modifications made to the engine will also make a difference as to what pipes work best.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:21 PM
soz
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

George, you have a link for them Porker's ? I'd like to have a look at em
EDIT- Found it just after posting - http://www.porkerperformance.com/st_hatchets.html

Yup, when it comes to pipes, everyone is gonna have what They Themselfs think is the best. I'd say just pick what looks and sounds best to you as everyone will have different opinions anyway.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:32 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

I think those Hatchets are kinda cool.
Different, at least for now. Give it 6 months, everybody will have a set...