Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Herko AMS upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:45 PM
unyalli
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herko AMS upgrade

Pretty well sold on Herko's conversion kit with 26n's and the three necessary GG tools. I like the fact he includes the inner torrington bearings and I don't mind paying an american for his QUALITY work. I'm also looking at the AMS lifters instead of the "B" lifters. Since I'm getting the AMS lifters anyway, might as well do the AMS 96" BB kit.

Any leads on a generic map for my race tuner just to get through break in? I've got the SE AC (big sucker), V&H true duals, and Supertrapp 4" megaphone disk series slipons.

In addition I'm curious about the Baisely spring. Do TC96 engines with hydraulic tensioners want increased pressure?

Any other thought's on this solution?

Thanks

Old 06-04-2009, 10:36 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Since the newer oil pumps have better pressure, I wouldn't use the Baisley spring. My 08 has great pressure. If money is an object, you can grab some Chevy small block lifters a heck of a lot cheaper than the B or AMS lifters. They are the same thing. If you going through the conversion kit, the big bore is only a step away, I'd go for it.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 AM
hrchdog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is a Herko's conversion kit?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:16 AM
unyalli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hrchdog
What is a Herko's conversion kit?
Andrews has a basic parts list of the HD parts needed to convert your pre-07 cam chest to the 07-later style if you use there N series cams. John has done a few of these conversions and has taken the andrews parts list and combined it with the missing assundries and included the torrington inner bearings in one bag so to speak. Also included is tech support from an INDY with experience.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 1,836 Posts

We're throwing a Herko kit in Petemac's (here on the forum) bike today

Old 06-05-2009, 10:32 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

With the availability of the SE conversion kit and 100s of early camshaft to choose from (Woods, Andrews, S&S, HeadQuarters, SE ETC...), why would someone limit themselves to the N cams?

Old 06-06-2009, 09:15 AM
unyalli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FXSTDSE2
With the availability of the SE conversion kit and 100s of early camshaft to choose from (Woods, Andrews, S&S, HeadQuarters, SE ETC...), why would someone limit themselves to the N cams?
Curious, why wouldn't I want an andrews cam?

Old 06-06-2009, 10:04 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Its not about the Andrews cam. Its about limiting your choices to an "N" type cam - they are the only ones that work in the kit you are talking about. Their are other kits available now and "any" cam will work with them. These kits also have the new style hydraulic tensioners and upgraded oil pump... I too would go in a different direction than the N cam. Unless of course, you are getting a very good price on the stuff...

Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

[quote=unyalli]Curious, why wouldn't I want an Andrews cam?

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Its not about the Andrews cam. Its about limiting your choices to an "N" type cam - they are the only ones that work in the kit you are talking about. Their are other kits available now and "any" cam will work with them. These kits also have the new style hydraulic tensioners and upgraded oil pump... I too would go in a different direction than the N cam. Unless of course, you are getting a very good price on the stuff...
Including all the Andrews TC88 cams!! And in the future, if choosing to go a different route, you still have 100s of cam options.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Its not about the Andrews cam. Its about limiting your choices to an "N" type cam - they are the only ones that work in the kit you are talking about. Their are other kits available now and "any" cam will work with them. These kits also have the new style hydraulic tensioners and upgraded oil pump... I too would go in a different direction than the N cam.
So how often do you make a cam change? For me, it's once. So I don't see what the problem is with the N cams.

Quick Reply: Herko AMS upgrade