Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

engine upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006 | 12:00 AM
pino56
|
Advanced
Default engine upgrade questions

My 05 ultra goes to dealer soon for warranty work due to the oil consumption problem. I was offered 5 hrs credit in labor cost toward a 1550 upgrade which sounds good to me. The engine build recommended inluded headwork, 257 cams, quick install pushrods, a/c kit, efi race tuner kit,etc,etc. Cost $3246.00. Now, I'm not looking for a race bike, but I often ride 2-up and soon plan on touring some mountain regions so some extra hp will be welcomed. I intend to do at least a basic 1550 upgrade, so i'm looking for imput on some must do's, cam choices, and weather or not headwork is necessary. I plan on buying hard crome t-rex exhaust. Please, opinions and recommendations much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Old 05-15-2006 | 12:56 AM
IRready
Road Master
Default RE: engine upgrade questions

I just went through the same thing. I had the waranty issue and had the 95" done while it was in. Unlike you, I went ahead with the HD dealership advice without really asking any questions. I have the flat top pistons, 204 cams and stock heads. I am getting 85 HP and 92 torque on the Dyno. It will do a little better when I have the time and $$ to properly tune. All in all I am happy. Lookng back, unless you want to really go for it and spend the big bucks, I wish I had had head work done and with my bike (2005 Deluxe) and used the 203 cams. Of course this is the cheap way out, but I did not need anything else for my riding requirements. There is a lot more you can do then I did, but then total cost out of pocket was only 690.00. I can tell you one thing, I put 2 into 1 Vance and Hines Pro Pipes on and they made nearly as much difference as the 95" kit did, and that is no joke. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 05-15-2006 | 01:07 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

A 95" Stage III will be more than adequate... Especially for pulling the Mountains.....

95" Jugs /Slugs, 203 cams (Better bottom end than the 204), and performance heads.....

It is reliable, dependable, and not going to be a "Racer", but a grocery getter, as well as a long distance tourer....

SERT..... nuff said...

JMPO...

Old 05-15-2006 | 06:36 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

Why the 257?
That price sounds alittle high.....

Old 05-15-2006 | 10:13 PM
pino56
|
Advanced

Wrench at stealership recommended 257's to compliment the $900.00 headwork. Seems a bit high to me but i'm a total novice when it comes to an engine build and its cost. Hopefully with enough research, and feedback from you guys, i can put something together to suit my rideing style while not getting bent over to bad. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2006 | 10:19 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Pino56, how bad is your oil consumption? I too have an 05 Ultra - and I used 1/2 qt in 900 miles. Heard from dealer that I'm in the norm. All inputs from all welcome.

Old 05-15-2006 | 10:34 PM
pino56
|
Advanced

I'm using about 1qt/1000mi. Only 3k on bike and plugs are pretty cruddy too which also indicates possible valve seal problem.

Old 05-15-2006 | 10:53 PM
Saddleup
Intermediate

I had my bike done about 4000 mi ago in the winter.Have about what you are talking about: 257 cam, 10.25 pistons, SE Heads, SERT,Compression releases. Already had Stage 1, with SE mufflers. It dyno at stock 62.6 hp 67 torque,after build 84.8 hp 91.2 torque. Rode 2000 mi in Florida came back and had Rinehart True Duals put on and retuned & Dyno 94.6 hp and 96.3 torque. I love the way the bike runs.I was afraid the cams might be to much, am very pleased with them. I think you need a very good wrench to get the most out of the tune.

Old 05-15-2006 | 11:23 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Pino ~ That's a HUGE chunk of change and really sounds like a pretty freak'n hot build for an Ultra. One thing to consider is your normal riding style, RPM range, etc...

The valve seal issue is documented and they have "new" seals to replace the faulty ones. Sadly, none of the S/E cams really make nice usable power in "normal" riding ranges for the dressers. I know I'll get slammed for saying that, BUT I have done it with 203's and was soooooo dissapointed, I had to swap them out for Andrews TW26's. I have also used TW55's, and recently built one with S&S 510's. The S/E cams DO make good power, but in all honesty, it's just not where you really need it. There are a number of after market cams that truely make power where you can use and enjoy it wihtout having to rev over 3k RPM's all the time! There are Andrews 26's, 37's, S&S 510's, Minton makes a good one, as does Woods. I have also heard that the new Kuryakyn WildThings line has some nice grinds.

Bottom line - The build you mentioned WILL make good decent on the dyno and run better than what you have. Is it worth $3200....???.... Well.... if you're rich.... maybe. Otherwise, let them fix the seals, get the big bore kit while they are in it, get a Power Commander or SERT and have a GOOD tuner fix it up for ya! It would be MUCH CHEAPER and better in the long run. If you wanna for more upgrades in the future, you would have a perfect base for them and a wad of cash. PLUS, you could use parts that would give you the results you would appreciate.

The bike is new. Get it fixed and take a less agressive route. If you have any warranty related problems down the road, I can assure you that they will offer resistence based on that hot engine build. The guys that are there now, MAY work with you, but they may not be there when you need help. Additioanlly, you may be on the road somewhere in BF.... then you're .... well.... you know!

DO YOUR HOMEWORK THOROUGHLY!

Good luck & let us know.....

PhilM

Old 05-16-2006 | 01:29 AM
IRready
Road Master

You should be using ZERO oil in 1000 miles. Mine used 1 qt per 1200 miles and HD replaced the valve stem seals at no charge. Now it has used NO oil in 2000 miles. You do the math. Get it fixed now so you don't pay later. JMHO.

Quick Reply: engine upgrade questions