Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

'04 Road King Exhaust/Fuel Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:52 AM
GWRKing
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Road King Exhaust/Fuel Question

Alright, I'm sure I'll catch flack from some of you guys for not putting in the time searching for this, but there are hundreds of posts and this could even go in the fuel injection forum, but I'm going to start here. I've tried searching and seem to get lots of interesting posts, but none that directly help me, so here we go...

I have an '04 RK that I bought used. It came with a SE intake and had some aftermarket 3" slash cut slip-ons, but not really sure what they were because they weren't branded. I'm young and apparently have a burning desire to loose my hearing, so I took them off because they weren't loud enough for me. I put on 1 7/8" straight fishtails, but they were so over the top loud and snappy at road speed I had to put some short baffles in them. I also took the stock rear head pipe to a metal shop and had them hack out the crossover and converted it to true duals. Since then I'm getting decel pops and sputters, mostly on the left side. I'm thinking the angle of the bend might be to harsh and is distorting the exhaust pressure.

I've recently become more interested in the tone than the volume, but still want a good balance. After all I bought a Harley, not a Honda. Anyway, it doesn't have O2 sensors and I'm tinking of chaning the mufflers again and need to know if I should buy some sort of fuel pack or tuner to dial it in? I would be appreciative for suggestions on the best bang for my buck on both the fuel pack and pipes. I would like a system that I can tune myself and doesn't require me to run to the dealer the next time I decide to change something. Also, should I go back to a crossover system?