Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

88B balancing parts go in 88 twin cam(dyna)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:31 AM
getanxd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 88B balancing parts go in 88 twin cam(dyna)?

can the couterbalancing parts be installed on say a dyna frame 88 twin cam?
and has anyone ever done that successfully? say some old arthiritic wrist/knee old guy wants a glass ride, in case anyone wonderd the reason for the Q.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:40 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You'd need the engine case with the bulge in front, and that won't fit. You want less vibration? Install one of the braces that keep your powertrain in line with your rear wheel. And/or intall balancemasters on your clutch and maybe your flywheels if the one on the clutch doesn't smooth it out enough.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 PM
getanxd
Advanced

Originally Posted by mp
You'd need the engine case with the bulge in front, and that won't fit. You want less vibration? Install one of the braces that keep your powertrain in line with your rear wheel. And/or install balancemasters on your clutch and maybe your flywheels if the one on the clutch doesn't smooth it out enough.
thanks, did not know the bulge case diff. i'll look into your other suggestions.

years back i had a 95 dwg and it was smooth as glass over my 87 FXLRC (which was smooth too, but wrist would get tight on long trips and the dwg would not). however, i put a EV27? cam in the dwg and all of a sudden my wrists would be just like the lowrider; so, i fig'd i do 90% of my riding at 70 mph on a hwy and took the cam out, back to stock and back to smooth.

got off the 95 in 98 and just now picked up a low mi 06 dwg. it is nice, but stock it would beat me to death in 6th at 62mph and smooth out going back to 5th...so 6th for 70/interstate riding only. BUT, put old 03 SE pipes/hiflo/PC-V and that horrible low mph vibration in 6th went away?(I still will not run in 6th till 65+). But this 88 seems to work me over worse than my 87 lowrider an cam'd up 95 dwg on a good 50+ mi ride? the mirrors are still not like a sporty, but def not a 500+ mi a day Sturgis trip or anything for this old bag of bones.

i probably got some bad luck draw on some flywheels. i may just have to get used to it. i did have some cushion grips and mukiriakin?? stirrup front pegs on the glass riding 95 dwg evo. is more 'pop' in the 88 like the cam in the 80 evo doing this? THANKS

Old 06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Something I do now and then is check all mounting engine bolts, footpegs or floorboards bolts, handlebar mounts, mirror bolts. etc.
Not to mention wheel balance. Check those out and any more things like that.
these can really cause a lot of vibration. And don't cost much to check.
And as said the engine mounting, rear end points can be improved on.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 AM
getanxd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
Something I do now and then is check all mounting engine bolts, footpegs or floorboards bolts, handlebar mounts, mirror bolts. etc.
Not to mention wheel balance. Check those out and any more things like that.
these can really cause a lot of vibration. And don't cost much to check.
And as said the engine mounting, rear end points can be improved on.
edit by getanxd, this is link i wanted to post, better pics, etc.:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ixed-pics.html

thanks, gunny...i did see exspy's link to mounts in his 'search/hints' thread in the dyna section link:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...n-problem.html
(somehow could not apply link, so, cut paste that in your brouser or go to dyna section look for 1st posty). anyway, looked like the dyna guys were finding motor mounts causing more vibs than normal to be their source. [another mystery ... i could not find this thread in the engine/fuel/exhaust section or even the engine section?? had to go to my profile to get this thread link to thank you...no idea where this thread will end up?...those nubies!, huh]

Last edited by getanxd; 06-05-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: wrong link posted, adding correct one