Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Should I beware of purchasing a 2000 fuel injected (MM) road king?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Tracy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I beware of purchasing a 2000 fuel injected (MM) road king?

I am looking for some help. I am considering buying a 2000 Road King Classic. The bike I am interested in is owned by a private party located in another state. I am not able to check it out myself, not that it would help much if I could. I have requested a inspection and it is going into the HD dealer tomorrow for a "buyers inspection". I was informed by one of the service techs at my local HD dealer that he wouldn't touch this bike due to the problems with the fuel injection system (Magnetti-Marrelli). He said I should look for a 2002 or newer. The bike in question has 17,900K and I am told by the owner it is flawless and has no or ever had any mechanical problems. I have talked to the owner many times and seen quite a few pictures. The bike is stunning based on the pictures and the owners representation. I would like to buy the bike but am concerned about what I was told by my HD dealer.

I am hoping to get some feedback regarding purchasing this bike, or should I stay away? The bike has had the stage 2 done, if this is important to know. At this moment, I don't have any information about the stage 2. I was also told I should find out some details about when it was done, and what exactly was done????? If anyone can offer me a recommendation based on personal experience, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

I also have this question posted under the touring section, thank you to those who responded to me there.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2070/DD55F6A5A79846C9A42E9A950E129F01.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-21-2005, 11:56 AM
jcc/tx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should I beware of purchasing a 2000 fuel injected (MM) road king?

Wasn't aware of any problems with the Marrelli FI except that it is not a "closed loop" type and therefore a bit less sophisticated than the later system that had the sensor in the exhaust. I have one on my '95 (first year) and it runs great. Also have the same same system on my '01 Moto Guzzi and it has had zero problems. Some folks, even mechanics, think if it isn't the latest and greatest, it is no good. If the bike is nice, and the price is right, go for it!!

Old 04-22-2005, 12:47 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yep, what he said!!!

Old 04-22-2005, 12:51 AM
VegasFatSE
Advanced

Bike Looks awesome. Looks like it has lots of chrome extras. I do not know about the fuel inj. I do know there a many after market options. I am sure you can upgrade to the newer system or install an after market system. Problem or no problem it can be fixed so if this is what your looking for get it. After all it is a Harley.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:14 PM
HarleyRon
1st Gear

The magnetti marrelli fuel injection on the 2000 model is very reliable even though is not as good as the current delphi system (which is still open loop, no oxygen sensor in exhaust). This would be a great bike for you if you do not have plans to do performance upgrades. If you are planning to do performance work such as a 95, 103, 116 etc. then definatley go with an 02 or later model.

Good Luck
Ron
Dealer Staff