Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Lifter Noise/Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:08 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Lifter Noise/Ticking

Hello all,

Just got done spending the last hour or so reading old posts on ticking sounds and lifters. I just finished a 95" build with mild head work, stock valves, Woods 6 cam, and converted to the 07-09 hydraulic tensioner conversion kit. Bike is running real well, oil pressure good and seems to be running cool, but there is now a much louder "lifter noise" and ticking where there wasn't before. I am not alarmed, but would like to reduce the noise if possible. During my build, I had my indy put in the new SE Tapered Adjustable Pushrods. It seems the noise is mostly coming from the front. Would adjusting the tapered pushrods help with the noise? How do I do it, if I may ask? Is it easy to pop the covers off and just turn them maybe 1/2 turn at a time? I'll take a further look at the knowledge base (great feature), but advice in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Ted

Old 06-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have chased this a lot. My noise comes from the top end. Lifter area and bottom end is quiet while running.
I have verified all the top stuff is as good as I can get it. You name it, I have checked and adjusted everything I could think of including everything anybody has ever suggested.
I think some of this noise, ticking sometime borderline clatter, at some RPMs (maybe resonance vibrations) is valve closing noise.
I have though about it and though about it.
Nomatter how you control all this the system has just enough slack to close the valve with a little noise. The last little bit. Particular with Woods cams which are fast up and fast down.

Bob Woods even suggests targeting with a stock lifter 0.050 in. down instead of 0.100.

Above is a mind fade. Meant to say go down 0.150, instead of 0.100, to target "0.050" from the bottom. For normal riding. No overrev. Real sorry about that.

This has worked for me to a great extent.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 06-02-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:00 PM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob Woods even suggests targeting with a stock lifter 0.050 in. down instead of 0.100.
Great, someone else on the board said that Bob recomends setting the lifter 0.150 down.

I've got the same type noise that seems to be comming from the top of the engine. Planning on pulling the covers to check the rocker shaft end play as I've heard from several here that excessive endplay can cause noise. My motor has 68k on it, so wear is a possibility.

Re'

Old 06-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

Having chased top end noise for years, I have finally thrown in the towel and just ride it, although this build is the qietest I have done in a long time. The Woods cams have fast ramps and will exaggerate any lash in the valve train. That being said, yess rocker end play can also add to the overall noise but really not an identifiable single noise , at least from what I have found. I have also found that if a compensater has any lash, springs getting weak, etc, the noise will travel and in all likelihood, sound like valve train noise.

Try sitting on top of a chevy 327 or 350 and ride it down the road, you will hear ticking, slap and all kinds of other noises. If it is not reeeeaaally loud, it is most likely not excessive, just an annoyance to you.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My noise is intermittent and at different intensities as the engine comes up throught he rev range, then at about 5k is goes nuts getting real loud and constant. I'm wondering is the springs are giving up after 68k.

Re'

Old 06-01-2009, 11:15 PM
roadroids
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the Wood 6-6 and have the same noise. It is annoying at first. It seems to get louder when the rpms increase - so I up shift and the noise goes away. When I get on it, I can't really hear it. I've heard that running a straight 50 weight oil and setting the lifters down helps, but I am used to it. On my bike the noise decreased after some miles too.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks all for your experiences and perspectives. I'm going to check with my builder to see if he recalls where he set the lifters, just for my knowledge. Valve springs are new, so hopefully no issues there. I have been riding with my windshield more this spring, so that probably amplifies the noise. Thanks again for the input.

Ted

Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

We always use the .140"-.150" into the lifter.
With a pressure shim/spring, and in the heat of the summer, 50wt, to maintain correct lifter pump, it works for us.
Scott

Old 06-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,063 Likes on 3,630 Posts

I hear it all the time on my stock 07 and i just gave up....Ride the crap out of it and when i get tired of the noises i will buy a Goldwing.....not tired of the noises yet by the way...

Old 06-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Meant to say go down 0.150 with the adjustment of the lifter to target 0.050 from the bottom of the travel. Most stock HD lifters have 0.000-0.200 travel.

Quick Reply: Lifter Noise/Ticking