Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Softail Deuce Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Brandonz45
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail Deuce Exhaust

I have a 2005 Softail Deuce EFI. I had it tuned for Hooker troublemaker Scallop exhaust. I just purchased Vance and Hines Short shots. Do I have to get the bike retuned, or can I just out them on?

Old 05-26-2009, 10:47 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can just put them on. The tuning will be pretty close. You will not run into any major issues. Only thing I see you potnetially running into would be some minor decel popping.

No need to have it retuned unless you encounter significant popping or other undesirable performance issues. You can have it retuned all over again but that's a lot of money. The simplest and least expensive way around decel popping is to not engine brake and pull the clutch in on decel. Another low cost method is to retard timing below certain throttle positions/RPMs. I used my SERT to do that on my Springer with Short Shot Staggereds. When I roll throttle back to idle on decel the timing goes to 45 degrees. Roll on and its back to normal timing with no hesitation or performance loss. Decel popping is gone.

What are your plans for the Hooker pipes? What kind of shape are they in? Thinking about selling them?