Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

V&H Pro-Pipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006 | 06:58 PM
DanDeuce
|
Road Captain
Default V&H Pro-Pipe ?

Any of you guys with the V&H Pro-Pipe use the less restrictive baffle ? What kind of sound change can I expect if I use this baffle ? I believe the standard baffle is fiberglass wrapped , what kind of sound change with the FG removed ? Thinking I would like a little more sound , but want to keep the deep sound I've got , don't want it to get tinny ! I know usually this is the other way around but I'm thinking about the V&H BSS , I do like the looks better . Anyone had experience with both have any opinions on sound , performance , etc. ?

Thanks , Dan

Old 05-13-2006 | 01:37 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: V&H Pro-Pipe ?

See the drawing at the bottom of this page: https://www.hdforums.com/m_405500/tm.htm

We had ProPipes years ago and were trying to make them better back then (both the tinty sound and the low RPM power dip).... The drawing shows the best mod we came up with.

Old 05-13-2006 | 02:25 AM
IRready
Road Master

I have the V&H Pro Pipes with the performance baffle. I had a freind buy these same pipes. Only diff in the stock VS performance baffle is the restrictive cap on the stock baffle. He removed the baffle, ground off three small spot welds, removed the small plate, and put it back in in about 15 minutes. He was also seeing bluing in the pipe exactly where the restrictive plate was located. No more bluing. I would remove that plate and save yourself the 40.00 bucks for the performance baffle like I paid. Oh yeah, sounds and performs great. The Fiber Glass you refer stays on the baffle in both cases.

Old 05-13-2006 | 09:31 AM
jimb
Road Master

I have the Big shots staggered.They sound great and because they chamber together they perform a little better than the standard 2 in to 2 but I believe for performance you can't beat a 2 in to 1.

Old 05-15-2006 | 05:57 PM
mkultra
Tourer

Just to let you know..i put the V&H Pro pipes on the 103ci build and it dyno'd at 95hp and 108tq with the tell tale dip at low RPM's as Phil stated. I did the 3/4"hole with the 8 1/8" holes, but did not re-dyno but the difference is notable. I like the Pro pipes sound and performance although the exhaust portion has definetly blued/purpled at about mid pipe. AFR is at 13.3 apprx. the entire dyno run. I reckon with a White Pearl RK a little color doesnt hurt. Oh and thanks for the tip Phil....

Mike
03RK 103ci
White Pearl

Old 05-15-2006 | 10:07 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

You bet Mike! I'm glad to hear it worked out for... it was good on the ones we did too.

THanks for letting us know!

Later!

Phil

Old 05-16-2006 | 04:13 AM
sfarson
Road Master

Have a ProPipe HS on a Wide Glide and Big Shot Staggereds on a Heritage. The BSS's have a big and belchy sound. Louder than the PP's, but not as deep as the luscious PP's. Had a 95" build placed in the Heritage. Ugh, did not like the BSS's sound any more. Loud and raw. Tried the quiet baffles. Minimal help. Switched to the pipe that is my favorite... ProPipe HS, and now the 95" Heritage sounds great and the 2-1 performance is there. I use the standard baffle. Plenty loud, and it is low and deep stirring the soul, not loud. But this is me. Committed to the PP HS.

Old 05-16-2006 | 12:03 PM
wingt50dw
Road Master

Glad to hear that you all are enjoying your pro pipe...I certainly enjoy mine...The sound is distinct and powerful! I cannot afford, nor do I have access to do the dyno thing, but I have a good seat of the pants increase in power. I am going to drill the baffle like PhilM said when I get time.

Old 05-18-2006 | 01:41 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer

I use the stock V&H baffle. The others didn't create a significant performance increase. Of course, I couldn't care less about sound. The sound doesn't get you down the road.

I haven't noticed the so-called low rpm dip. When I bought my current bike, it had 2-2 pipes which had a HUGE dip in the torque curve below 3200 rpm. The Pro-Pipe completely eliminated it. It starts at 74 ftlbs at about 1800 rpm and climbs from there. The only mod I made to the baffle was to drill a 1/2 inch hole in the center to insert the AFR probe into the pipe.