Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Vance/Hines Slip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:22 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,624 Likes on 5,101 Posts
Default Vance/Hines Slip-ons

I posted a thread about slip-ons and there was not one reply on V/H Slip-ons.
How come? I know they are more expensive than Rush. Or are Rush a better exhaust? Are V/H louder than the 1.75 Rush exhaust? Who ha the best prices for V/H exhaust?

Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Not V&H or Rush, but Cycle Shack bagger slip-ons retail for 305.00 they work absolutely great. I would say that they are the best slip-on manufacturer on the market today.
Scott

Old 05-21-2009, 06:57 AM
rockchalk08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought some V&H slip ons for ~$250 from cruisercustomizing.com. Havent put them on yet, so cant speak to the sound yet.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 PM
marshrat
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecyclecom
Not V&H or Rush, but Cycle Shack bagger slip-ons retail for 305.00 they work absolutely great. I would say that they are the best slip-on manufacturer on the market today.
Scott
I've been looking at CS to replace my V&H slip-ons. I know this is a subjective question, but CS has a reputation for being loud. How are the bagger slip-ons in that regard?

To answer the OP, I've had 50K miles of excellent service out of my V&H Basics one-piece slip-ons. They're getting a little too loud and the salt air around here is taking its toll on them.
On my bike they have a decel pop.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Greybeard48
Cruiser

I won't comment on sound since that is a completely subjective topic, but I have both V&H slipons and CS pipes on various bikes. V&H is a high quality product and their chrome is excellent. CS pipes are one of the best values in exhaust pipes. They make good power for the dollar. Volume on both is as subjective as tone. Try to listen to as many bikes as possible and then decide.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 PM
amp3824
Novice

SeniorChief56-- Not sure which model V&H slip-ons you're referring to, but I recently installed V&H Straight Shots on my 08 Dyna. Stock air cleaner, Power Commander III fuel manager using stock map (M814-005). My observations:

- great "stock" Harley sound but much louder, which is what I wanted to achieve

- good throttle response

- decided that it was too tiring on my ears so I put in quiet baffles. Much better low-RPM throttle response, muffled the sounds quite a bit, maybe a little too much, so I unwrapped one of the two layers of wrap around the quiet baffles. I was happy with the exhaust note, but with the PCIII and the map I was using, it was running lean -- I could feel it in the throttle response, and the pipes made that tinkling sound after the ride...

- while I was fairly pleased with the looks of the slip-ons and the fit/finish, the fit wasn't perfect -- the bottom (front pipe) muffler wasn't straight in line with the header pipe, looked like it sagged just a bit. I noticed this on someone else's Straight Shots as well.

- Given that the sound was pretty much the same as I got with the (in my opinion) much better looking Big Shots Staggered pipes, I tore it all down and reinstalled the Big Shots Staggered.

BSS pipes look farking awesome, decent sound (though more resonance/rumble than I would like..but I'm getting used to it and learning to appreciate it. I really love the STOCK harley sound.. oh well) -- good enough.

In short, I was very pleased with the V&H Straight Shots slip-ons, but slightly more pleased with the BSS. Mostly for looks, I hate to admit.

I have a set of Straight Shots for sale if you'd like... about 3 days use on them.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Last edited by amp3824; 05-27-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: details added
Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 PM
hutch4
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I put a set of Vance and Hines monster ovals on an '09 ultra. I'm really happy with the deep throaty sound. There not cheap but they're nice. I bought them from my HD dealer. I could have saved a little money by using mail order but bought them from my dealer anyway. I'm going to put stage one this Friday.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:39 AM
azharleyrider86401
Cruiser

I have the V&H slip on turn down. three major things I have noticed

1 Seem louder than other pipes and have great sound.
2 Turn downs focus more noise down and out so you hear it a lot when you are "around" the back rather than behind it.
3 Because of the turn downs it can be kept quiet in areas if needed and if on the pipe they don't just make noise behind you, you can hear em. Been out for about 5 hours on my longest ride so far and the noise is not too much for me.
Just FYI---Harley stage 1 ecm calibration does not work well with low rpm's and these pipes. lean surging and popping through the intake. Installed a v&h fuel pak and it helps. Had to call tech cause it wasn't quite right. Now it screams but at 80mph and up only get 32-34 mpg. Programmer also stopped the decel popping(unless i play with it, i can get some poppin). My buddy says it sounds like a Jaybrake on a semi when I am in front and decel down hill. I love mine. Was at a dealer with a well known brand on a bike, and he lit it and was way to quiet for a performance pipe for me. happy riding

Old 05-28-2009, 06:36 PM
1roadking
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 79 Posts

I put the Vance & Hines bigshot true duals on my bike. They are awsome and they sell for a little over $600. Definatley worth the extra $$$. They sound sick. No blueing at all. They mount very solidly and the fit and finish is flawless. Check out the sound clip on there website. Way cool, you will love them. My father in law has Rineharts and they dont sound half as good and cost way more $$$$.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Bad Disposition
Tourer
Default Slip ons

Rineharts for sale!

Attached Thumbnails Vance/Hines Slip-ons-img_02801.jpg  

Quick Reply: Vance/Hines Slip-ons