Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

whats the best Cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:43 AM
mtnroadking
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whats the best Cams

Wanting to upgrade my cams in my 05 Roadkinghas fuel injestion. Also want to addd a power commander. At present I have a Fulsac conversion to true duels and Screaming Eagle slip ons. Also have a Stage 1 breather kit. Please help me get all this together.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You want a service manual.
If this is all you want to do, is put a good cam in, there are many, many choices.
For nothing much more and will work well with what you have, a Woods 6 (whichever has the .500-.510 lift)- with 4 degree advance. Bolt in. Quiekie pushrods.
I would, at the same time, upgrade to the new oil pump, and cam plate with new chain drive. Check this all out and make sure if you do change cam plates and chain drive you get the right cams to fit. This last for piece of mine as the old design is prone to trouble.
If not one thing its ten things.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:57 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Where do you want your tq? What rpm range do you typically ride in? The big question, how much do you want to spend? And, do not get misled by higher tq and hp numbers in an rpm range you typically do not ride in...

Old 05-15-2009, 05:08 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any plans for a big bore kit in the future? I am very happy with the SE 203 cam with a 95" kit on my bike

Old 05-15-2009, 09:03 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Darn!! wish it was that easy.... I spent a lot, lot, of time studding and reading to get the one that fit my riding style...
I suggest U do a search and then learn at least a little about cams, then you will have a little better Idea what you want, ask that question later...

THERE is no Best Cam out there. Only one that fits your build and riding style......

Old 05-15-2009, 11:44 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Darn!! wish it was that easy.... I spent a lot, lot, of time studding and reading to get the one that fit my riding style...
I suggest U do a search and then learn at least a little about cams, then you will have a little better Idea what you want, ask that question later...

THERE is no Best Cam out there. Only one that fits your build and riding style......
Similarly to what oct said, here is some easy reading for you. Not saying you should do this build. It just raises some good points as oct mentioned and I mentioned earlier.

http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=1054045

Old 05-16-2009, 02:02 AM
kansasroadking
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnroadking
Wanting to upgrade my cams in my 05 Roadkinghas fuel injestion. Also want to addd a power commander. At present I have a Fulsac conversion to true duels and Screaming Eagle slip ons. Also have a Stage 1 breather kit. Please help me get all this together.
agree with above posts, you need to match cam with riding style and engine config.

I ride alot of 2 up hwy. cruising, so this is what I would do if I were doing it...
get bearings, gaskets, new tensioners, polish your timing chain, HQ 0034 cams, HQ black ops lifters, ez install pushrods (clip originals with bolt cutters, unless you want to take the tank and rocker covers off and re-use the original pr's) and their Pro-Tuner instead of the PC.
no need for a dyno tune either, the Pro-Tuner takes care of the fuel mix at all times, and your stock timing map is just fine for your stock compression 88" motor.

lots of very good educational reading.....
Q&A forum;
http://hqperformance.freeforums.org/

pro tuner;
http://www.head-quarters.com/injection.html

Last edited by kansasroadking; 05-16-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Old Gunney nailed it.
The Wood 6, with the 4* advance will pull off the bottom and out. That simple.
Slick set-up.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I installed the HQ-0034's 2 years/20K miles ago and haven't thought about a 95" build since. My bike is a stock 88 with Rinehart True Duals and SE a/c. Great manners, excellent fuel economy, but runs stronger than the SE 95"/203 cam builds, and at least as well as 95's with street ported heads, etc.

Haven't used the Woods cam, but the cam and 4 degree advance key will run you north of $500. The advance key is used to create an intake close of 36* which is what the HQ-0034 has without the need for the advance key. The 36* intake close promotes earlier torque, which is what we want on these heavy touring bikes.

Lots of happy HQ-0034 (and HQ 500 cams; same cam as the 0034, but for '07 and newer models) users on HDF.

Good luck with your research.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I'll give another call for the HQ0034, pulls great down low and will rock up top, my bike is a 95" with WFOLarry heads and BUB7 tru duals, I am very happy, cam is $259 not $500.

Quick Reply: whats the best Cams